Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What should I make for my first block? >
  • What should I make for my first block?

• What should I make for my first block?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Default What should I make for my first block?

I decided I want to make a potholder set this weekend for my friends wedding next weekend. I'm thinking a mitt and a quilt block pad.

Theres a few challenges:

1: I've never done anything other than quilts made from squares of the same size. I like the idea of trying out a half square triangle or strips, or size variety, something I can learn from but I don't want to get in over my head.

2: It would have to be done with 1-3 fabric varieties. I'm hoping to pick up a main fabric and a couple accents, but I don't have a big stash/budget

3: Nothing too county or cutesy. The recipients are kind of alternative types. He's involved in the piercing community, but enjoys cooking. She's a little earthy. Something with a bit of an esoteric feel would be perfect

So suggestions???

Im kind of leaning towards snail trail block. I love it but I'm worried that its not beginner enough.
    Old 05-17-2014, 01:32 PM

I think I would start with something really easy, like a log cabin block maybe? It sounds like a lovely gift as long as the recipients like & understand handmade.
    Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 PM

If you're uncomfortable with the snail's trail block, try Churn Dash, Square-in-a-Square, Sawtooth Star, Bear's Paw or Dutchman's Puzzle. These blocks require easier triangles: half-square or flying geese. Not beginner, but perfect for someone who is ready to branch out of her comfort zone of squares and rectangles. If you can master those types of triangles, it will open a whole new world of quilting opportunities for you.

Good luck with your potholder set!
    Old 05-18-2014, 04:16 AM

A star would be not too difficult and go together fairly quickly. I love stars!!
    Old 05-18-2014, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

Just make a small "quilt" with as many blocks as it will take to be large enough to lay the potholder mitt over the blocks and then cut it out and stitch it as you would a potholder. Good Luck. Many posts on this site about the process of making a potholders.