Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >
  • What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

• What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 PM
    Power Poster

Every time I see someone add to this thread it makes me feel better about the stunts I have pulled. Thanks for all the smiles.
    Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM

While quilting yesterday, I didn't realize some of the backing fabric had migrated and I ended up sewing the extra fabric into the quilting. I usually roll the excess up and do an easy basting stitch to keep the ends from fraying or getting in the way but I was in a hurry and convinced myself it wouldn't be a problem. Pssht! Teach me! Next time I will make sure I don't skip that step. There's nothing worse than having to rip out the quilting!

I think with all the stuff I'm trying to quilt for Christmas, I'm going to be making a lot of silly mistakes in the next couple of weeks.
    Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 PM

I made a Bargello and it was completely finished and on the bed. I had turned one color around, it was a 2x2 square, bright yellow. I could not live with it. Went to the quilt store to get a piece of the bright yellow. Oh yeah, this was a year later. The store had one fat quarter left of all the colors I had used and yes it was the right color. I took that little square out and hand sewed the new one in. Can't even tell where it was now. And all the other things you have done, I've done most of them.
    Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 PM

I was making a Navajo design quilt...like a bargello, you have to have several different fabrics and move them up and down to get the color patterns of the quilt. Some how, I had left out one color in one of the strip set and without realizing it sewed the whole quilt together. I had a bunch of snipping and resewing to do on that one.
    Now, I inspect my design often to make sure the colors are all there and going in the right directions.
    Old 12-05-2009, 01:35 PM

OK.. time for me to fess up, since everyone else has been forthcoming.. I too have done many of these errors, although I've never (knock on wood) cut myself with a rotary cutter or stitched a finger with my machine. I have cut the webspace between my thumb and index finger with my Ginghers... those suckers are SHARP! Probably the saddest, most alarming and funniest involves a pet I used to have. At the time I was sewing clothing, not quilts, and I had a darling little cockateil named PJ who was free in the condo. I have had him follow me when I was pinning a pattern down and when I finished, I looked back and he was very methodically removing each pin right behind me!!! then when I was sewing he would sit on my shoulder and jabber, he was just learning to talk. All at once he ran down my arm and was immediately cold cocked when the take up lever whacked him on the head. I called the Vet in a panic, and was told to take him in a dark room and put an ice cube on his head. We sat in the dark for about 10 minutes, he was fine...I was a mess, but he never talked much after that.
    Old 12-05-2009, 01:48 PM

I hope everyone's injurys are all healing now, but this thread is just so funny.

Like many on here, I've also sewn one of my quilts to my clothing whilst doing hand quilting, and I've also rotary cut a block into bits that had the audacity to sneak under some fabric I was cutting. I've also rotary cut off the mat and straight onto the table cloth that I thought could stay there as I was only going to do a bit of cutting that day.

But I think the daftest thing I've done is... the thread on the top of the machine was starting to look a bit thin. I was only a little way into the quilt and for some unfathomable reason I got it into my head that if I "sewed faster", I would get to the end before the thread ran out. ??
    For the life of me I still can't work out how my brain thought that one up!!
    Old 12-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Let's see, I've stepped on a pin so hard it went all the way through my foot, ironed on top of plastic headed pins, and let's just say I have a very good relationship with "Jack the (seam) Ripper"! :)
    Old 12-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pineapple Princess
    Let's see, I've stepped on a pin so hard it went all the way through my foot, ironed on top of plastic headed pins, and let's just say I have a very good relationship with "Jack the (seam) Ripper"! :)
    Ouch!! My friend did that and she was in the ER room for most of the night. It took them 5 hours to remove the needle. Needless to say, she never goes barefoot in her sewing room anymore.

I think about that each time I step on a pin, which isn't very often thankfully. I love my magnet wand and am very careful to check the floor often for any strays that may have jumped from my tomato to the floor. Sneaking little devils!

Okay, I had to read the story of PJ to my hubby. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile and I really needed a good laugh. Thank you for sharing! Poor PJ, I would have loved to have heard his version of what happened. :lol:
    Old 12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
    I made a Bargello and it was completely finished and on the bed. I had turned one color around, it was a 2x2 square, bright yellow. I could not live with it. Went to the quilt store to get a piece of the bright yellow. Oh yeah, this was a year later. The store had one fat quarter left of all the colors I had used and yes it was the right color. I took that little square out and hand sewed the new one in. Can't even tell where it was now. And all the other things you have done, I've done most of them.
    The first quilt I ever made was tied. I was snipping the ties to make them even and cut into the fabric. I was VERY lucky that I still had some of the fabric. I just took a bit and covered. Gave to Sis for Christmas that year. You cannot even see it. You must run your hand over it in order to find where it is. Whew!
    Old 12-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Great save!