Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What size is that block????????????? >
  • What size is that block?????????????

• What size is that block?????????????

Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
    Power Poster

I always thought a 12 inch block meant 12 and 1/2 inches not sewn into a quilt.
    Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM

I have always been told that a "finished" block size is the size it ends up being after it is sewn into whatever project it is for. If a project requires a 12" finished block, then the unfinished block will be 12 1/2" to allow for the 1/4" seam allowance.
    Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Okay! Thanks for the info.
    FYI! We all make whatever block we want. We did this last year and had problems with some turning out 12" instead of 12 1/2". All but 1 of us are experienced....so we couldn't figure it out. I've started looking at various quilt patterns in magazines and run across a few that don't add up. I went to my EQ 7 and put in a 12 1/2" block. The block is a 16 patch. EQ7 says (when rotary cutting) to cut the patches at 3 5/8....4 x 3 5/8" = 14 1/2. Subtract the three seams ( 1 1/2") gives me a block that's 13"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And other configurations (adding a diagonal on each of the blocks) says to cut the block at 4".....which I did and ended up with a block that's too small! BTW - my seams are a perfect 1/4"....and a slight move to the right won't make up for 1/2" on 4 cuts.

Has anyone else had problems with EQ7???
    Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM
    Power Poster

12" finished means 12 1/2" unfinished. This is quilting 101. Shame on the block designer for not knowing the difference.
    Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
    MTS
    Banned

In EQ, you would want to make a 12" block.

When designing the block, you deal with FINISHED measurements.
    In the block set-up, if you're desiging your own, you would set the block size at 12", not 12.5".

And when printing you also input the FINISHED size, so again, it would be 12", not 12.5".

You could set it up as whatever, but EQ always assumes it's FINISHED.

The program will add the necessary seam allowances for you when printing templates, rotary cutting instructions, foundations, etc. (if you choose that option - it's a default, so I'm sure you do).

And a 12" block (FINISHED), will result in instructions to cut 3.5" squares (or whatever).

Last edited by MTS; 10-30-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Okay -- that answers why I've been going so crazy!!!!! LOL Thanks!!!
    Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 PM

Wow I learned something to. Thanks everyone. You all are wonderful!!
    Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    So, TanyaL -- you're saying that if the pattern says 12" finished, then as I look at this lonely block, not sewn to anything, that it's 12"???????
    It's 12" plus however much seam allowance you use. Some people use 1/4" for each seam, some use a scant 1/4" inch and some use whatever they want to use, which is why they don't participate in trading blocks.
    Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Ditto for me. Have you tried Rhonda's blocks? I just finished her October block swap and it was so accurate at 12.5 (before putting it in a quilt.) I used a Boston block and it turned out really nice.

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    I completely agree that a block is 1/2 inch larger than a FINISHED block. So yes, a 12 1/2 inch block put into a quilt becomes a 12 inch block.
    Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Okay, folks, we need help with this. My sewing group makes a quilt every year to donate to the place where we use the conference room. They raffle it off. We all make 3-6 blocks and we combine it for a quilt. We said this year to make 12 1/2" blocks. In going thru the books and internet, I've made 3 blocks I can't use!!!! Others are having this problem, too! The instructions will say it's a 12" FINISHED block. To us, a FINISHED block is the block as it is in the FINISHED quilt. So, before putting it in the quilt, it should be 12 1/2". BUT we're ending up with 12" blocks that will be 11 1/2" when in the quilt.

What, in your opinion do they mean by FINISHED --- when IN the quilt, or BEFORE it's added to the quilt.

Oh, this is to get your opinion --- I solved MY problem by making 8" blocks and adding a mini sashing to make the block 12 1/2"

If you are cutting your pieces to have a 12.5 UNFINISHED block, that is what you ought to have. Use the same method you did to get an 8" FINISHED block.