Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What size is a CRUMB? >
  • What size is a CRUMB?

• What size is a CRUMB?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Default What size is a CRUMB?

I have lots of scraps but was wondering what size does every one consider a CRUMB? I think anything an inch or smaller has to be a crumb. Anther question, is what do you do with CRUMBS? Thanks for sharing!
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM

I trash my crumbs. But if you want to use yours, check out Bonnie Hunter of http://www.quiltville.com. She does a ton of scrap quilting, including with crumbs. She's got a bunch of free patterns on her site.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Hey wait a minute I want to know what a crumb is? Is it bigger than a bread crumb smaller than a piece of toast?....LOL I'm joking kinda I would like to know measurement 2 X 2 in or is it smaller than that? Thanks!
    Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

IMHO a crumb is anything smallish- so like 1 inch up to 3inches but odd shapes.. non perfect HST, strips, isosceles, irregular rectangles and the like...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]320452[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails thumb-1287634887995-img_0957.jpg  
    Old 03-17-2012, 01:21 AM
    Power Poster

some people consider a crumb anything smaller than a charm---others simply consider any small(ish) snippet---like the corners cut from flying geese blocks-any small odd shaped scrap- it is up to you which scraps you think of as crumbs...some people use them up- some people pass them on to people who would love to use them up- others (HOW DISTRESSING) actually don't pass them on- they THROW THEM AWAY! oh my! how sad that is!!!
    if you do not have use for your scraps place a flat rate box under your cutting table, and toss them into it---when the box is full- let people know you have it & the size/cost of the flat rate ---someone will oh so happily pay that postage to be able to have those scraps! or donate them to the public school art department, a scout troup, or 4-H group. even the senior center--there is alot of people who will put them to great use-and keep them out of the landfills.
    Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    some people consider a crumb anything smaller than a charm---others simply consider any small(ish) snippet---like the corners cut from flying geese blocks-any small odd shaped scrap- it is up to you which scraps you think of as crumbs...some people use them up- some people pass them on to people who would love to use them up- others (HOW DISTRESSING) actually don't pass them on- they THROW THEM AWAY! oh my! how sad that is!!!
    if you do not have use for your scraps place a flat rate box under your cutting table, and toss them into it---when the box is full- let people know you have it & the size/cost of the flat rate ---someone will oh so happily pay that postage to be able to have those scraps! or donate them to the public school art department, a scout troup, or 4-H group. even the senior center--there is alot of people who will put them to great use-and keep them out of the landfills.
    This is a great idea. I admit I've been guilty of tossing mine but I won't anymore. I usually toss anything under an inch because the smallest flower I make is an inch and I have trouble sewing anything that small on my doll quilts.
    Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 AM

I love crumbs I use a small picture from a scrap of fabric and sew lots of scraps around it till I can cut a square the size I want then I can make mug rugs or baby quilts or anything that takes your fancy depending on what you use.
    unfortunatly I lost most of my crumbs last year in the house fire and I haven't had time to do heaps of quilting since so I have a shortage of crumbs now, but not to worry now that I am starting to quilt again they will soon build up again
    Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 AM

I am happy to see the information on "crumb". I wondered what it was and how it is to be used. Thanks for posting this.
    Old 03-17-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    IMHO a crumb is anything smallish- so like 1 inch up to 3inches but odd shapes.. non perfect HST, strips, isosceles, irregular rectangles and the like...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]320452[/ATTACH]
    Love what you did with the CRUMBS! Takes a lot of patience. Odd shapes make sense for the definition.
    Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by litacats
    I love crumbs I use a small picture from a scrap of fabric and sew lots of scraps around it till I can cut a square the size I want then I can make mug rugs or baby quilts or anything that takes your fancy depending on what you use.
    unfortunatly I lost most of my crumbs last year in the house fire and I haven't had time to do heaps of quilting since so I have a shortage of crumbs now, but not to worry now that I am starting to quilt again they will soon build up again
    Litacats - I have a package of crumbs and scraps that I would like to send to you. Please PM with your addy. Sorry about the fire! Hope this helps get you back to quilting and recovered from the fire.