Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What size of quilt top do you make most oftern to have on hand? >
  • What size of quilt top do you make most oftern to have on hand?

• What size of quilt top do you make most oftern to have on hand?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:30 PM
    Power Poster

Mine end up in the "twin-ish" category or even a bit larger. I have made some square ones and don't really like them.
    Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 PM

I'm too busy to make quilts just to have on hand. I'm working on making a quilt for every couple, child, baby and single person in my congregation. Down to the last 5 now. Maybe one of these days I'll have all the quilts I want to make for those I know to make one just to be making one. I think making over sized lap quilts might be nice to have around or to give to those in the nursing home.
    Old 04-23-2016, 02:24 AM

I never have any on hand... I can't keep up with the demand as it is... I have a recently married son and DIL and another my younger son is getting married in September... and in the meantime, all of their wonderful friends keep having babies so it seems I am always working on gifts with a recipient and size in mind.
    Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 AM

I usually end up with throws, too. Don't know why - that's just how they end up. I usually don't make quilts with any purpose except just to make them. So I generally do have quilts "on hand."
    Old 04-23-2016, 04:29 AM

TU everyone for your responses. I usually sew with reckless abandon and never know when to quit!! Now I'll try to make my tops a little larger but alas now need to buy more batting. lol
    Old 04-23-2016, 04:35 AM

lap quilts I like the 48 x 48 size. I'm doing a quillow that will probably end up about 60 square. Then I do window quilts and they are two inches larger than the window in my case that is 34x64. For my single bed I like 60x90.
    Old 04-23-2016, 06:53 AM

I make a lot of mine up to 60" wide and 62-70 long. I like to bak them with minkie and it comes 60" wide.
    Old 04-23-2016, 08:25 AM

I don't have a preferred size exactly because I tend to have someone in mind when I'm making a quilt for a gift and that means I do the size they need. But a generous lap size is what I tend to do when I'm quilting for my own pleasure without knowing who will end up with them. Right now I'm trying to complete 18 quilts to lay on each bed at our church's retreat center as I just completed my goal of giving one to each family member. These are random sizes from 50" squares to twin. I just can't wait until I have enough to bring them and have each person be able to enjoy a unique hand made quilt on retreat weekend.
    Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 AM

Between a lap and a twin, depending on the blocks I am using and what is available for borders. This is a good size to hand out as a quick gift. It is good size for a couch throw or to take to an outdoor activity. This is a good way to use up those orphan blocks or when you are trying out new blocks and color combos. Or when you have the need to just make something NOW!
    Old 04-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Most of my quilts are queen size, then baby quilts, then twin. I only know 2 couples who have king beds and they are both already covered so it will be a while till I need to do another king size.