Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What size scraps do you save? >
  • What size scraps do you save?

• What size scraps do you save?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
    rarely does ANY fabric get tossed into the trash here.. scraps get cut into strips and squares,,,, then into the " scrap bin" snipets and trimmings go into anoth bin for pillows, toys stuffings etc..... but then I've been called miserly before.... :-)

I do the same as bluteddi does, I throw nothing in the garbage. First I sort them by color, cut into the shapes I will use down to about 2 inches then those go into a pile for most anything, then I use the tiny bits and threads in stuffing for dog or cat beds. I want to make confetti type wall hangings so am saving the same colors for that in the oh so tiny bits and pieces.
    Old 05-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    if I can get a 2" square out of a piece of fabric, I do it. i have a small box I throw crumbs into. Sometimes I use them to make fabric, sometimes I give them away.
    Two questions........how big is a "crumb".....and what do you mean when you say you make fabric?
    Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 AM

Default Made fabric

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace
    Two questions........how big is a "crumb".....and what do you mean when you say you make fabric?
    Here are some pics of made fabric. When I get bored with a precise quilt block I go crazy creating crazy fabric. I crumb to me is any piece that can be sewn with a seam into a larger piece. Snippets go into bags for stuffing
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]414194[/ATTACH]

Close up of one piece showing a mini block made from small triangles
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]414195[/ATTACH]

Strips sewn to strips waiting to be cut and re-sewn
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]414196[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails scrappy-made-fabric-001.jpg   scrappy-made-fabric-005.jpg   scrappy-made-fabric-003.jpg  
    Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
    Power Poster

My smallest strip bin is 1.25". Small-ish pieces go into my scrap basket to make 3" crumb blocks with, and an occasional applique piece. Snippets go into a bag for making dog bed stuffing for a local shelter.
    Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
    Here are some pics of made fabric. When I get bored with a precise quilt block I go crazy creating crazy fabric. I crumb to me is any piece that can be sewn with a seam into a larger piece. Snippets go into bags for stuffing
    I am so glad you posted pics of "Crumb" quilting, ever since seeing it on Bonnie Hunter's site I have been addicted and have made some lovely quilts from them, here are a couple I made for Project Linus, the last one is made from scrappy strips, again from Bonnie Hunter's site called Crayon box.
    Attached Thumbnails crumb-quilt-pl-joan.jpg   joans-scrappy-quilt-pl.jpg   scrappy-crayon-box-joan.jpg  
    Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 AM

Thank you so much for posting pictures of "made" fabric. I am inspired!
    Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM

I keep almost all my scraps. I belong to a quilting group and if I don't use them, someone else will use them! lol One of the women makes the most gorgeous quilts out of 1 x 1 squares (I don't have the patience for that). Another woman makes quilts out of the edges of the fabric with the writing on them, I cut the edges off in one piece width and she makes fun quilts out of all those pieces. I say "thank heavens for my quilting buddies". lol