Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is this??? >
  • What is this???

• What is this???

Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 AM

Will it indicate a pin or needle on the floor? I'm not sure how sensitive it is. But that would be my only guess as to why she would have it in her sewing cabinet... to find lost pins on the floor or in your quilt....
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Will it indicate a pin or needle on the floor? I'm not sure how sensitive it is. But that would be my only guess as to why she would have it in her sewing cabinet... to find lost pins on the floor or in your quilt....
    I vote for this answer! I always inspect Project Linus quilts that are donated, and sometimes I find pins that were overlooked. It is dangerous to deliver a quilt to a child that might have a hidden pin.
    Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    that's what I thought too!! Great minds and all that!LOL
    Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM

im looking for two legged stud lol :twisted:
    Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM

It is a stud finder used to find nails in the wall along the stud. My Grandma used one to find lost pins and needle. Glenn
    Old 06-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Could it be an attachment to a Red Devil vacuum? maybe she used it to clean the machine out?????
    Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
    Could it be an attachment to a Red Devil vacuum? maybe she used it to clean the machine out?????
    Clever answer, since anything metal near the motor windings is damaging to the motor. I've always told my kids, if it's big enough you can see it standing up, then pick it up...the vacuum is for fine particles, not long strings & paperclips!
    Nowadays (is that a word?), I use either my telescoping magnet $4.99 (looks like an old car antenna) I got @ Joann's on 50% off sale...or the old magnet wand , which is heavier duty to check for pins. Wand: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd140412 $4.49.
    Telescoping (but probably a lot weaker) http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd74099. After looking this up again, I was surprised for the same price Amazon (& probably Harbor Freight) has some telescoping magnets that will pick up 15 or 20 pounds, so pretty powerful, instead of the one I got which only has 3.5# "pull". Not that a pin would weigh anything, but a stronger magnet will pull from a farther distance if you dropped a pin on the floor.