Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in? >
  • What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

• What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Because I'm always thinking about more efficient ways to do things, I have a two-fold system for work space gadgets. There are the things I use all the time-ripper, scissors, stilletto, spare snip of fabric as a leader and pincushion. Then there are all the others-more scissors, machine feet, bits of fabric with a needle stuck through them to remind me I'm changing up needles, chalkoner, small ruler, etc.
    I didn't want the seldom used to get in the way of my reaching for the often used but I didn't have any really good system for separating them. And I didn't want something tall that I'd have to stop and peer into each time I was looking for something.
    I've been teaching my 11 yr old granddaughter to crochet and she presented me with a "pride and joy" present, a heavy yarn crocheted pot holder about 6 inches square with gorgeous purples, blues and pinks. I knew it was too thick to use as a pot holder but I wanted her to know I cherished it. Then it struck me to use it right next to my machine as a pad on which to place the often used items. I can lay them out straight so they're easy to access and they won't roll or slip off the table because of the weave on the pot holder. And everytime I look at it, I smile and think of how proud she is.
    Right beside my "pride and joy" mat is a long, clear plastic rectangle with bright green rubber on the bottom that I found for about $4 at Home goods. It's a simple open box about half the width of a silver ware tray and that's where everything else goes. It makes for very fast retrieval and when I'm in a sloppy mood, I can just toss things into it and save sorting for later.
    I always try to think like Steve Jobs....how can i get from turning on my machine to actually sewing in about 3 moves. It really helps to cut through the clutter.
    Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM

I need something that will keep the kitty from batting my pin cushions around. I give her empty spools to play with, but she wants the good stuff.

This is a really cool site with handy ideas for around the house.
    http://twistedsifter.com/2013/01/50-...fy-your-world/
    Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM

Several years ago my GF made me some "stuff" holders out of ceramic pots. I may have to dig for the shorty
    screwdriver but I know where it is. Also a bigger pot holds sissors and cutters. However both of my stilettos
    have jumped ship so I guess its a trip to the quilt shop today. Its a dirty jb but someone has to do it.
    Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by pdriggs
    Anything about sewing that has organizer in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
    Phyllis

Amen, Sister! Just is not going to happen, at least not in my house!
    Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sarint
    I need something that will keep the kitty from batting my pin cushions around. I give her empty spools to play with, but she wants the good stuff.

This is a really cool site with handy ideas for around the house.
    http://twistedsifter.com/2013/01/50-...fy-your-world/

She won't bat around the magnetic tool tray pin holders from HF. The first time it hits the floor and makes a good noise will be the last time she knocks it off.
    Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM

I had one of those Pampered Chef roundabouts that were used in the kitchen for utensils. I now have enough drawer space in my kitchen and no longer needed it, so that is what I have setting by my sewing machine. It holds lots of things, including scissors, pens, etc.
    Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM

Umm, I have this thing for chocolates; the kind that come in the nifty trays. I'm sure I'm the only one out there who has this thing, but; if someone does share it - I find the trays really wonderful for little odds and ends. Buttons, beads, screws - small bits.

I am also fond of taping things like machine needles to side of the machine. If the needle is there, obviously it is still usable but not the right size for my last project. (I need all the "obviously" help I can get. This year has been one, long hunt and rescue mission.) And then there are the snaps and hooks and other such effluvia that seem to follow certain projects. Taping them to the machine is also helpful.

Besides, any excuse to eat chocolates is a good one. I am sticking to that story. Right?

P
    Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 AM

I use a silverware tray. I like the divided compartments.
    Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM

i use an old picnic basket set i got at a thrift store... it has a standing utensil kit that's perfect for scissors, glasses, seam rippers n razors. the napkin tray holds pin cushion, safty pins n stuff and the basket itself is full of rolls of fabric ready to fling a quick "tack n whack" at moments notice
    Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM

i can agree with that! all my best intentions still don't erase that look of horror on hunny's face when he peeks in my lair