Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to tell your hubby when you want to buy a new sewing machine >
  • What to tell your hubby when you want to buy a new sewing machine

• What to tell your hubby when you want to buy a new sewing machine

Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by lllog
    One of our customers is always buying machines at yard sales, estate sales and so on. I ask her, what does your husband say when you bring home another machine.

"He says, how many machines does it take to sew a quilt?", her reply is "How many guns does it take to shoot a deer?" She never hears another word from him after that>

Lanny
    Good answer
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 PM

He flies airplanes, I sew. 'nuff said! I always ask ladies what hobbies do their husbands enjoy esp when the lady is reluctant to buy something for herself. Husbands are into fishing, boating, hunting, etc. All hobbies are expensive. Kind of puts it into perspective, doesn't it?
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by puck116
    My DH only plays golf and only has one set of clubs. He did once buy a sailboat for $9000, used it a couple of times and it sat for years beside the garage. What an eyesore! At least I used my machines. I have 3.
    Reminds me of when I was dating my husband 17 years ago. He made a snide comment about my Coach purse. ($350 at the time/I paid for it out of some sales contest winnings.). I made a snide remark about his kayak that he paid $1200 for and to this day he has only used about 6 times. I still USE this purse to this day! It has probably been 9 years since the kayak has seen water! just sayin!
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Toni-in-Texas
    Buying fabric and an occasional sewing machine keeps me out of the pool hall. As long as I don't quit cooking, I'm fine.
    Belly laugh on this one!

I wish that we had a "LIKE" button on the responses! I want to reply to more of them! So many great come backs!
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

hahahahaaaaaa ROFL... I just read that to hubby... he just shook his head..
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by llamalady
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Cute! And good for those wives!

I have never understood asking permission from a spouse to buy something within reason. DH and I never discuss purchases. He will show me what he bought and I'll show him my new toys but other then that it is a non issue who bought what. I didn't know he bought a new pickup until he drove it home and he knew I bought a new car when he saw it in our garage. We are perfect for each other, both independent as heck but love being together.
    Oh my Gosh that sounds exactly like us. We have been married for 53 years so it definitely works for us.
    Us too! Going on 29 years.
    Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 PM

If I had asked my husband that question several years ago he would have lost it because he'd bought me a very nice Pfaff about 20 years ago and that was and is my coveted toy. Now that we restore vintage sewing machines it's him who buys. Here's the kicker. We were in Taco Bell the other day and a woman came in dressed like a she should be standing on a corner. She was wearing a tiny dress covered in that dangly scaley sequins. My husband leaned over and wispered- Want to know what I was thinking? I was thinking her dress looked like snake skin and I was wondering how difficult it would be to sew on- Is that crazy or what, I wasn't even thinking abought how slinky she looked, just contemplating how the fabric would do in a sew off. - Most women wouldn't believe that but knowing him, I do. he's constantly finding new materials to test.
    Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 PM

That's a hilarious answer. I could tell my husband just about anything. He wouldn't have a clue. I need one for sewing all the straight lines, one for sewing on binding, one for embroidering quilt labels, one because it's cute...WHATEVER. I only have 3 machines and a serger, but want a FW or 301