Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat! >
  • What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat!

• What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM

Yes !!! 1/4 and 1/2 inch are my limits !!
    Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
    Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I'm finding the double wedding ring quilt a challenge. I never want to make another one of these!!
    ugghhh.......I'm hoping I'm not making the biggest mistake of my short quilting career. Your post is making me nervous. My daughter has requested I make her my next project which is only my 3rd!!! It's the Amish Wedding Ring though and doesn't have all the curves. I'm in the middle of sewing together millions of little 2" triangles into units and then will need to start piecing together. The directions recommend deciding on color placement by putting it together on the wall and carefully machine stiching and then returning it to the wall to avoid screwing up the color bands. I'm going to have to do set in seams for the 1st time too and that's also making me nervous. I've found some good articles with pictorials so I'm hoping I'm okay. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)
    Forge ahead. someone once asked me why i pick challenging patterns and all i could say was "no one told me i couldn't do them" Please post a pic when you are done. would love to see how your wedding ring turns out.
    Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Somewhere I saw a tutorial on TV that showed how to do wedding ring stripping. They sewed strips together and then cut the arc - this way it was all sewed up. Probably there is an amount of waste involved but i have never tried to make one so I do not know. My very first piece I quilted was a bear paw wall hanging which in my ignorance, I quilted on my lap! My next project was a queen size quilt with large scallop shell appliques on a white background with tuquoise strips marking the blocks. I liked the pattern and no one told me that it was a challenge to do. I found getting those darn strips straight was the biggest challenge! It came out great and my grandson loves it. I also drew lighthouses in the blank blocks and quilted themin colored threads. This was destined for a Florida address so it all made sense to me. I must of been really nuts to try but after that, nothing else bothered me.
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Hi. Lots of ideas about this. When I want to square up a large piece (such as the corner of a quilt), I use my largest cutting mat and mark the fabric with chalk.
    Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 AM

that looks great, the material anyway!
    Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 AM

I LOVE bindings! I've come up with 7 different and unique ways to do them but writing a book doesn't interest me. 978Gray, send your quilts to me!
    Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks! I feel like such a goof-I get straight, but my squares always lean.......sigh. I will try this!
    Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM

Do a tutorial? Me? Eeeks! I'll try. I have grandkids staying with me this week so I will try to do it next week. Oh, dear. :-)

Originally Posted by Dix
    Originally Posted by craftybear
    please do a tutorial for us on how you do your bindings and add it to the tutorial section, please , please

Originally Posted by GrammaO
    I have a way of doing quick binding that still looks good. Not as 'perfect' as hand stitching but I think it turns out pretty neat. I can try and describe it to you if you're interested. I'm sure it's not new and you might have already tried it and it doesn't work for you.
    Originally Posted by 978gray
    Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:
    If you will go to Missouri Star Quilt, they have good tutorials on bindings.
    Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM

everything...I am pathetic. I try so hard, buy all the notions people reccommend, watch videos, read magazines, and I still dont see improvement!
    Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 978gray
    Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:
    same here WOW I am not alone with this phobia :thumbup: