Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What thread do you use? >
  • What thread do you use?

• What thread do you use?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:20 AM

candela59

My LQS carries YLI made specifically for hand quilting -- it's just lovely to use. The only problem is they only carry it in white or off white. I guess I'll have to see if anyone else carries different colors... :D[/quote]

C&C had a thread for hand quilying...I tried it and it seems to do the job A/ok for me
    Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 AM

I love Superior Threads Bottom Line thread. I also use that in my bobbins. It lasts so much longer in the bobbin than other threads because it is so much finer. Don't have to change the bobbin as often.[/quote]

joeyoz...I was told to always use the same thread in the bobbin and on top...

this not so???????? thanks, MJ
    Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 AM

My goodness..I sure have taken up a lot of space on the "thread thread"......

Been up since the wee hours as daughter and family just left Florida, heading back to Jersey (and snow) and couldn't go back to bed...so where else does one retreat.....the message board, of course.

I guess not too many are online at this hour and all my responses were one right after the other....

good morning, all.....lololol

MJ
    Old 01-01-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by magnolia
    I currently am using Mettler thread for piecing and quilting (except one that I used embroidery thread by accident). The Mettler is about $6.70 for a spool, which adds up. Does anyone recommend a thread that is just as good but cheaper? Thanks.
    I use Connecting Threads Essentials thread
    Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jerrie
    Originally Posted by magnolia
    I currently am using Mettler thread for piecing and quilting (except one that I used embroidery thread by accident). The Mettler is about $6.70 for a spool, which adds up. Does anyone recommend a thread that is just as good but cheaper? Thanks.
    I use Connecting Threads Essentials thread
    Me too, its a good weight for FMQ and piecing also good in the bobbin
    Old 01-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    What is the best way to use the big cones for the top thread? I like the idea of buying the large cones, but I need your advice on ways to use them so that they run through the machine smoothly.
    You can get metal cone holders with a thin spike in the middle to hold the cone. I've never use one though. A friend of mine puts her cone in a sturdy mug and has been happy with it.
    Thank you for your reply. I have heard of using a mug. Hmmm, I think that that might work on medium size cones.
    See my reply to Joey below. I will try both ideas.
    I used a mug once upon a time, and the thread got sucked into the motor because of the way it was coming up over the side of my machine - so just be careful of where you place it and run the thread up and over the machine!
    Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Ok, I got off subject and didn't reply to orignal question earlier. Sorry about that, but I did appreciate the advice that I got. I use Coats and Clark a lot because I live in a small town and Wal-Mart is where I can get it when needed. I have bought some at quilt shows and then when it is gone, I don't remember what kind it was. My sister-in-law bought the Connecting Threads Neutral Set for me for Christmas. I hope that it works well in my Bernina 1230, because I would buy it from them if it does. I can't wait to try it.
    Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 PM

I bought some from connecting threads. Should arrive around the 7th. I will let you know how it works. I am tempted to get more, but think I should wait until I try it first.
    Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Oh I just wanted to mention regarding lint from threads.... many times it is NOT the thread that is making all the lint, it is the fabric.

It is hard to tell if you use the same color thread as the fabric, but if you use a contrasting thread color you can determine if it is the thread or the fabric that is making all the lint.

warm quilt hugs, sue iin CA
    Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by wraez
    Oh I just wanted to mention regarding lint from threads.... many times it is NOT the thread that is making all the lint, it is the fabric.

It is hard to tell if you use the same color thread as the fabric, but if you use a contrasting thread color you can determine if it is the thread or the fabric that is making all the lint.

warm quilt hugs, sue iin CA
    Thanks! I never thought about the fabric making a lot of lint (DUH!) :D :D