Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >
  • What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

• What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mtspools
    Little girl pony tail bands for holding thread on bobbins.
    Oh this reminds me although not from another hobby but I use clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store to keep the thread on my bobbins!
    Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 PM

I use fabric elastic pony tail holders around bobbins to keep the thread from unwinding.
    I'm temporarily using this to store my limited thread/bobbins: plastic snack bag, or larger zip lock bag holding the spool of thread with its matching bobbin(s). I'm sure there's a better way, but it works for me right now.
    I use painters tape ($1 store kind seems to work okay) as a guide to qult straight grid lines.
    I use the pre-packaged cold cut containers (I think Sara Lee brand) to store various pins, fabric clips, quilt pins, etc. The container is flat, so you can easily pick up the pins from the container, the top is secure, and you can stack the containers to save storage space.
    I don't close quilt pins when storing them. When I need the pins I take a handful of pins and toss them. When they fall they come apart.
    I have a pin cushion that has sections where I organize different types of straight pins. I have a number of pin cushions and try to keep the pins organized.
    Old 03-20-2011, 01:18 PM

Can of compressed air to clean the fuzz out of my sewing machine.
    Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 PM
    Power Poster

i use a wallpaper seam roller [wooden] as a [finger] presser.
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM

I use the window cling (stuff you use to keep sun rays out) cut strips and wrap it around my big embroidery spools to keep the thread end secure.
    Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 AM

Just a note of caution re: Magentic Clips, etc. I was told Magnets can screw up 'computerized' sewing machines.
    Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 AM

Foam toe separators for bobbins. LOTS of shoe-boxes. Stick-'em labels. Old First Step cat-litter bins for scraps. (They aren't making them any more):(.
    Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 AM

I use a "mounted under shelf spinning mug rack" attached to the bottom of a shelf above my sewing area to hang my scissors and cutter.
    Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Hanging divided shoe storage to store smaller UFOs or progects.

Samall wicker picnic basket for sewing basket. Pin cushion in lid. Holds everything I need for hand sewing...glasses, needles, scissor, wax thingee. Looks cute on end table under OTT light.

Post it notes. Write down measurement when doing lots of cuts for blocks. Saves time from looking back at pattern.

Salad spinner to wash/rince fat 8th or smaller fab.

Clear plastic by the yard to put on back of rulers to prevent slipping.
    Old 03-21-2011, 06:21 AM

I use the large plastic salad containers to hold things and I bought a fruit & dip tray at Sam's & reuse it for holding my sewing machine feet & other things. It has little compartments that held the dip & fruit, and a lid. I like that they're see through.
    Recently, my husband used his dremel tool to open up one of my fmq feet. It was a clear plastic ring, but I couldn't really see the line that I wanted to follow. Now it is an open toe fmq foot (shaped sort of like a C.) and it works wonderfully.
    My Dad used to do some upholstery. He recently gave me some rolls of fabric. I took the fabric off the rolls & plan to use the rolls with basting quilts. I've seen on the web somewhere a woman basting quilts with 3 flat boards and thought maybe the rolls might work the same. Haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a shot.

FREE Quilting Newsletter