Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >
  • What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

• What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 PM
    Google Goddess

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

& I will type them up on this list in Alphabetical order for all of us to Enjoy! Come on Quilters we need your input! Thanks!

The link below will take you the the master list that I am creating for all of us

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2574

Computer: so I can find cool links for all of us to enjoy!
    Pizza boxes: to keep projects together - clean ones
    Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Paint and make up brushes to clean my machines
    Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM

I use a large bamboo knitting needle to poke out the corners when I turn something inside out.
    I use Q-tips to keep my bobbins with the matching spools of thread.
    Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Shoe Boxes (kids always needing new shoes, they grow too fast) ~ keeping small strips / squares in so project is moveable if I'm not done yet...

Q-tips / downgraded print brushes: cleaning lint boogies outta machine

Knitting needles that get bent: now used at stilleto

Empty pill bottles: for keeping broken needles / pins / Xacto knife blades in, toss when its full

Bone folder: normally used for scrapbooking, but makes a great turner, its very strong!

Old block of 4x4 from deck project: drilled holes to fit my markers / fabric marking pencils in so they don't roll everywhere

fridge "chip clip" magnet clip: clip it to top of sewing machine, it holds a couple needles when I'm doing Y seams, and when doing FMQ... I used to put it in my shirt, kids got tired of getting stabbed when I hugged them! Hubby came up with that solution!

Jewelry / bead organizers: great also for holding small spools of thread / specialty threads / small amounts of laces & trims / buttons
    Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
    Google Goddess

*****thanks I have added all of the above on the master list for all of us, lots of great ideas I always learn something every day on this quilting board site

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2574

Please post more ideas! Thanks

Craftybear
    Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Chopsticks, pizza boxes, shoe boxes, throat lozengers or mint tins to hold safety pins, binding pins, hair clips to hold binding, tiny baby scruNchies to hold thread in bobbins and small spools AND zip lock baggies galore!!
    Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM

I use a cricut express to help with cutting out multiples of the same appliques! I love it, it saves a ton of time.
    I also use the sticky back magnets and put one on or near my sewing machine to catch pins and needles as I'm sewing and unpinning.
    baby food jars hold a lot of my pins and buttons.
    Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM

When I need to number the rows of a quilt, I use numbered beads. I put the numbered bead onto a safety pin and then pin it to one end of the row. I make sure to keep the pins on the same end of the rows. This has saved me hours of ripping.
    Old 03-19-2011, 10:38 PM

I put my patterns in those clear notebook slip covers and then put them into a 3 ring binder for easy to find patterns and they aren't scattered everywhere.
    Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 AM

ziplock sandwich bags keeps sorted pattern pieses together
    bamboo skewer to poke down stuff neer the needle
    chopsticks to turn and poke out corners
    haemostats for everything

FREE Quilting Newsletter