Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What will we all do??????? >
  • What will we all do???????

• What will we all do???????

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM

The big jump in cotton prices is because of huge crop failures. These things have happened before.. I know this is sort of a weird example, but years ago the computer chip market had a huge catastrophy.. a fire or flood or some such thing.. Those little buggers went through the roof.. but the industry recovered and the prices came down again.. This is a bump in the road, and while they may not come down to what we'd like, a new cotton crop is coming. Those prices will come down again. To say nothing of supply and demand... When the prices go too high, the people will quit buying, that will make the prices come back down.. Just wait.... The world loves cotton.. and the cotton growers love to sell their cotton, we won't have to give up quilting.
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM

I am like everyone else. I don't like it at all but what can we do? Get very creative & hunt like crazy for bargains. It will all work out!
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Hopefully there will always be old jeans, and good parts of used clothing, as well as fabrics not generally thought of as "good" for quilting, like double knits, plisse, and fur fabrics, men's ties, etc. etc. Quilt on!
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Oh gosh that will be hard to take but perhaps I could sell my stash and pay off my house......hummmmmmm something to think about.
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM

I remember as well. I remember buying a lot of fabric at Penney's since that was the best place to get it. I guess if I need something, I'll buy it online and support other quilters. Not that many Quilt shops around here and only one Walmart and one Joann's. Hobby Lobby is too expensive for me. No, I guess I'll use my stash and go rob my daughter's stash (from me when I moved) when I need something.
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM

I thought it was just the batting !????!!!! Now Im upset. Will have to do one or the other !! Make tops , then save for the batting !!EEEEKKKKKK!!
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mesissy
    I was reading this morning that cotton is going up by 80%. I cant even imagine how i will be able to afford my fabric shopping. I was thinking about going to the Goodwill, etc. and looking for skirts that have a lot of fabric in them. What will we all do? Cheryl
    I went to St. V's today. Lots of fabrics. Nothing I wanted to bring home this time, but it's always worth looking.
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM

Maybe we'll get our UFO's done and use up our stash.
    Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 PM

If that's the case, then the clothes I thought about giving to Goodwill will stay in closet a little while longer. May need it to help feed my habit. But, there is a LQS I don't want to see go out of business so guess I will continue to spend there as much as I can ... lol
    Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
    Yep, our LQS even sent out a notice in their current newsletter on the rising cost of cotton. Seems all the mills buy their cotton from India or China that have been hard hit by weather conditions, raising prices. Hmmmm, would the price stay the same if they bought US grown cotton from US Mills and brought the manufacturing back to the US..Just thinking I would pay the higher price for fabric made in the US. What about you??
    Sounds good to me!!!! More jobs here.