Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >
  • What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

• What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by simpsonfs
    I made an Aggie themed quilt for my great niece who graduated from Texas A&M this past December. She is a "dyed in the wool" Aggie and her brother is in the corps in the battlion that takes care of the First Lady of A&M, Miss Reveille. Miss Reveille came over and immediately jump up on her bed on the quilt. Of course, she took a picture and posted it on Facebook. Some of my Facebooks friends were horrified that that dog was on the quilt! I was honored! So a dog on your quilt is not always terrible!
    There is a big difference in having a dog jump up on a quilt on the bed and having one stuffed in a dirty doghouse outside. Just sayin'.

Last edited by nstitches4u; 05-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM

I have a very good friend that told me a tale...she made her very first quilt because her husband asked her to. She knew NOTHING about making quilts. She made the whole thing by hand. Not anything to enter into a show by any means...but she was proud of it. Some time later she found her husband had it on the floor of his pickup and greasy engine parts on it! Should I mention she took it out and it went with her in the divorce? LOL
    Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM

Wow, that's just wrong in so many ways. Just keep cool around the individual and keep in mind Karma can be a "b". She'll get what is coming maybe not today but someday, just be patient. I am sure the dog loves the quilt, just keep in mind the dog needed love too. So just make the dog stuff from now on, forget people.
    Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 PM

some people have no idea
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM

I made 3 quilts for wedding gifts and never recieved thank yous. I've often wondered if maybe the dogs, at least, appreciated them. I also had a friend who asked me many times if I would make her a quilt and that she liked pink. She saw a picture of a pink one I had made and asked me several times if I would make her one like it. The one she was talking about had never been used, so I told her she could have it. Apparently it offended her that I would give her one already made rather than spend the time and money duplicating it for her, so after looking disgusted as she hauled it out to her car, she has never spoken to me since. Was I in the wrong? On the opposite end of the spectrum, I made a baby quilt for my daughter's best friend. Michelle told me after a couple of years that the quilt was literally worn to threads and that the little boy goes nowhere without it. He loved it to death. How cool is that! I offered to make him another one but she was afraid her friend would be embarrassed that she let him wear it out.
    Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 AM
    Power Poster

That is horrible! Unfortunately you can't pick your relatives
    Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 AM

This is common...there is a segment of society that just doesn't appreicate it. No fault of theirs...they are missing a gene!! I would never make someone a big quilt without first making them a small gift...see how much they like it.
    Now ask me why I would never make a quilt for my MIL! (missing the gene)
    Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM

For some people, their pets are part of the family. I have made my sister two quilts for her cats, and have made my dog and cats their own quilts too, but they aren't anything detailed.

Probably the worse thing that has happened to a quilt or two of mine was went I accidently spilled bleach on them.
    Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM

At one time I was given some quilts my mother-in law had made. I had 6. I had an uncle wit 6 small children and they lived in a very old house. Mom said you need to give them one of the quilts you just got. She kept after me until I did give my aunt one of the pretty wool one that was so warm and cozy. Her son had recieved a new bike recently. When we went over for a visit there was the bike with my mother in laws quilt over it standing on the porch ,in the rain. She said I am so glad you gave me that as I did not have a thing to cover the bike with !! I would of thought a cheap shower curtain would of been a better choice. My Mom apologised to me but I still cried.
    Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marvel
    At one time I was given some quilts my mother-in law had made. I had 6. I had an uncle wit 6 small children and they lived in a very old house. Mom said you need to give them one of the quilts you just got. She kept after me until I did give my aunt one of the pretty wool one that was so warm and cozy. Her son had recieved a new bike recently. When we went over for a visit there was the bike with my mother in laws quilt over it standing on the porch ,in the rain. She said I am so glad you gave me that as I did not have a thing to cover the bike with !! I would of thought a cheap shower curtain would of been a better choice. My Mom apologised to me but I still cried.

As I said before, most people are not aware of (or simply don’t give a s--t) about the hours and the money you have spent on the gifted quilt/blanket. As for a bike cover, as the “Bicycle Hobo” (the bicycle part), I ride bikes as a serious hobby & business very much like sewing/quilting is to me. My bikes are like a car for most others. So I do admit I pamper them. But with their own covers-not one of my actual quilts/blankets-like the one I made for my prized mini folding bicycle shown below. The cover is a nice metallic Butterfly print denim. Sew or buy something like that for a bike or even a car. Not the quilts!
    Attached Thumbnails poor-persons-brompton-slipcover.jpg   brompton-board.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 05-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.