Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved? >
  • What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

• What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
    Banned

The worst advice I have ever heard given is "Do NOT wash the fabric before you use it"....wrong on so many levels....

The best advice "ALWAYS wash your fabric before using in a project"!

that and measure thrice, cut once!
    Old 02-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM
    Banned

One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I always put my borders on the top, but never knew I was supposed to! THanks for sharing that!
    Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Worst advice i ever recieved was, "Oh NO you CAN'T do that!!" Bullpuckies to that, I do what I want to do and the end result is what I want.
    Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM

I always put my borders on the top, but never knew I was supposed to! THanks for sharing that!
    Whichever piece is the fullest is what should be on bottom. Meaning that if you have to ease a piece into another, keep the piece to be eased on the bottom, whichever one it may be. :) By the way, cutting the borders lengthwise reduces the amount of stretch. I never have wavy borders anymore since I started doing this.
    Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
    Whichever piece is the fullest is what should be on bottom. Meaning that if you have to ease a piece into another, keep the piece to be eased on the bottom, whichever one it may be. :) By the way, cutting the borders lengthwise reduces the amount of stretch. I never have wavy borders anymore since I started doing this.
    Interesting...I do cut my borders lengthwise when possible, even if it means still piecing them together!
    Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM

The worst advice I ever received was from an experienced quilter. I was even more of a beginner than I am now. I was making a wall hanging with an eight pointed star in the center. I could not get it lay down. I took it to a quilter, she said to keep trying. Duh, it was highly glazed chintz and polished cotton home dec fabric. That will never lay down - at least not for a beginner. I wonder where it's at? Somewhere in sewing room #1, I imagine.
    Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Thank you so much to Scissor Queen and jaciqltznok for that info!!! on borders. I had no idea and there have been 2 times now when I get wavy borders, had no idea why! Love this board!
    Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 PM
    Power Poster

I think the worse advice was to don't waste my money buying quality supplies/tools. Cheap cotton thread and dollar store scissors will work just as good. No they do not.
    Old 02-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Booking lessons with a teacher who NEVER used rotary cutter! Made us make all our own templates from cereal boxes!! Told me I was useless at choosing colours!!! Really lost confidence until a quilting friend made me get out some bright colours and I made my young grandaughter a little jacket! Really jazzy and everyone wanted to know where her Mum had bought it!!! Could have made a fortune had I taken up all requests!!!! Never had a problem since!!