Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ? >
  • what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

• what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 AM

I would say "forget it". I put too much work in one of those quilts to for an ex. I've only been married for 48 years, not had any ex's I think that would be rather difficult of me. That would have to be a different type of relationshiop for me to do something like that. I guess I'm just not that giving to just anyone.
    Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 AM

I would help but have her do most of it. Your daughter is awesome and thoughtful to want to make something for her dad and to get you to help. I think its cool.
    Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Help her and imbue it with love...for her. You obviously did raise her right. This will bring you and your daughter closer, pass on a skill to her, and then, for giggles, think about how they will feel sleeping under something you helped with! when my daughter was in kindergarten and her father had a new girlfriend, for her 30th birthday, Joy wanted to bake a cake for Yvonne, the step=mother. so of course we did that, decorated it as if it were the most gorgeous cake on earth, then I wondered, will they eat it? will they think I spit in it?? LOL. It gave me smiles for a long while!
    Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM

The only way that I would make my ex a quilt is if my daughter asked me to help her make one. I would enjoy the time spent with my daughter and wish him well. But, that's the ONLY way that I would make him a quilt
    Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

I would do it and treasure the time spent with her. Let her do the work with your guidance. It is all about relationships; Your relationship with her and her relationship with her dad.
    Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM

I would be sorely tempted to "accidentally" leave a straight pin or two in it...
    Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Oh, you poor dear! I feel for you, but the answers you are getting are definitely right. Do it for her with love and you will never regret it. No matter what the circumstance, she still loves her Daddy, and you love her.
    Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 PM

I would do the quilt with my daughter, if I had one. One thing I did learn, during the EX process, is that to never talk bad about the children's father. I also agree that you let your anger out when no one is around. One thing that really lets out the anger is to have a large teddy bear and a child's plastic bat. (of course no one can be around) Then talk to the bear, and then hit the bear with the bat. It sound's silly, but it really helps the anger to melt away.
    Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ogama
    what would you do if your ex is getting mararied and she want you to help her make him a quilt for the wedding.
    You may hate your Ex however from that relationship came your children and therefore regardless of what she intends doing with the quilt I would help her. Help doesn't mean make the whole quilt it means just that help so give assistance and encouragement with the project where asked. Ensure you have worked out the ground rules of what your "help" will involve prior to her starting the project. She must know of your animosity towards her father so it should come as no shock that you don't feel comfortable doing anything for him. However it does show her that you are big enough to put this aside for her sake when she needs you and help "her".
    Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ogama
    what would you do if your ex is getting mararied and she want you to help her make him a quilt for the wedding.
    The reason you both divorced is not your daughters fault and he still is her father no matter what may have gone down between you and him. BE THE BIGGER PERSON and help her. Do it for your daughter irregardless of who she wants to make it for.