Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What would you do? >
  • What would you do?

• What would you do?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:45 PM

I'm sorry.

Keep the quilt. Keep quite. Once you gave it to them, it was their quilt. If they didn't appreciate it, it's their loss. If your friend ever comes to visit you, be sure the quilt is visible. If she asks about it, tell her the truth. Bless the caring lady who found it at Goodwill.
    Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM
    Power Poster

I have to agree once you give a quilt away it is out of your hands. Don't say anything. I'm glad you got it back though.
    Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm guessing that in the downsizing process the quilt ended up on the 'we can do without it, hope someone else can use it' list.
    Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I'm so happy you got the quilt back also!! However, if they moved out of the country, they might've had to "downsize" a great deal -- yeah, I know, I WOULD NEVER EVER give a quilt to Goodwill but.... :D
    This was my thought. I would never get rid of a quilt either (especially one that was a wedding gift!), but... As a military family, we move often enough and I am forever getting rid of things, downsizing, etc., especially before a big move. A move out of the country would have me getting rid of nearly everything. Thing is, non-quilters just don't realize the time, energy and love that *really* goes into a quilt. It makes me cringe to say it, but it was likely, to them..."just a blanket" :-( I wouldn't say anything.

I'm glad it found its way back to you!
    Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Wow, that's a sticky one. I agree with everyone. Keep quiet about it, remove the label if you put their names on it, add a new one, and do with it what you want.
    Of course, this is assuming :0, that you did not put their names and the date on the front of the quilt. That would be a whole different situation.
    Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

You are so lucky to have gotten your quilt back- What are the odds!!!!.. Id keep quiet and cherish it knowing it was now in good hands...

I would definitely make something for the nice lady that found the quilt and emailed you, She didn't have to do that.. She sounds like 'she' knows the love, time and devotion we quilters put in our quilts..
    Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 PM

I would have no idea how to handle this. What a wonderfult thing this lady did for you to give the quilt back. Maybe you could find it a new home I am sure it would love to stay on a bed I know of :) I am sorry I wish there was some explaination of what happened. I would say believe it was a mistake and it was put in the wrong bag. Keep it and cherish the find.
    Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Keep it ;-)
    Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM

I vote for keeping it, too. You're not that close with your friend, the quilt may not have been to the kids' taste in style/design/color, and a LOT of kids nowadays don't have an appreciation for what we've made. YOU appreciate it but it may bring back sour memories......maybe you'll find someone that would love it and appreciate it.
    Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM

My two cents.....Don't fret over it anymore...we may nver know why it ended up in Goodwill but it may have been because the recips were downsizing. I would keep it and also surprise that lady with a wallhanging or some token like that. JUst goes to show how small our world is.