Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine? >
  • What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

• What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 PM

I paid $60 just this last weekend for a Red eye and cabinet. The lady who sold it had used it all her life and it had been her mother's before that. The machine just needs a belt. The cabinet needs some refinishing.
    The Red eye may work great but I have seen cleaner ones.
    She was asking $100, I offered $60, thinking she wouldn't take it.. LOL. fooled me.
    I think I overpaid.
    Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Sorry to sound so dumb but, what is a "red-eye" when referring to the Singer treadle machine?
    I have my mother's machine which is a No. 127-3. It has three rather ornately carved drawers on either side. The reason I know it is a 127-3 is that I have the book which came with it, looks like published in 1912. It is still in working order with all the parts.
    Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by gingerella
    ........... what is a "red-eye" when referring to the Singer treadle machine?
    Red eye refers to the ornamentation, decals, on the machine, in this case, there are a couple of Red decals that kind of look like eyes. Other types include Lotus Flowers, and Sphinxes. I know there are others, those are the ones I know of off hand.
    I think the red eye is pretty common.
    Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Oh gosh, thanks, I would never have figured that one out. Now I'll have to have a look at my mom's machine - it's been covered up for years now. I can't remember if it has any of those red decals, but I don't think it does. I wonder if it has any other? Thanks so much. I'll take a photo of it if it turns out to have a fancy decal. Thanks for the info.
    Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 AM

I paid $125.00 about 10 years for a completely reconditioned machine. I have never reqretted it. I use my machine all the time. It has all the attachments you could ask for. (I love the gathering foot.) It sews like a dream and it looks beautiful in my sewing room.
    Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
    I paid $60 just this last weekend for a Red eye and cabinet. The lady who sold it had used it all her life and it had been her mother's before that. The machine just needs a belt. The cabinet needs some refinishing.
    The Red eye may work great but I have seen cleaner ones.
    She was asking $100, I offered $60, thinking she wouldn't take it.. LOL. fooled me.
    I think I overpaid.
    $100.00 is a good price for a piece of history. These machines changed the lives of many seamstresses and home sewers. I am proud to own one and can only hope that my machine (I have the sphinx on mine) will appreciate in value, both monetary and esthetic.
    Old 10-04-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
    I have only seen a picture of it. She says it doesn't have a scratch on it, and it still works.
    I would love to have one. You have come to the right place, I'm sure some of the members here will have some good advice.
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 AM

I paid $125 for a Singer 3/4 machine made in Great Britain and brought over from Scotland by the ladies' family. (Most I have paid.) Well worth the money. The cabinet has only 1 drawer but is in very nice condition. I paid $106 for a Singer Cabinet with a beautiful Red Eye Machine in it. Cabinet and machine looked like almost new. Needed a new belt, which my sewing machine man here in town sold me for $11 and some change. I have 10 treadle machines. Now that I am really looking for them, they are everywhere. I have bought machines that are not SINGER, but I bought those for the cabinets, in case I get heads with no treadles. I really only want to buy SINGER. I am looking for a Singer(Tiffany) if you know of anyone who has one for sale within driving distance of me.
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 AM

I paid $10 (total) yesterday for a 1925 Singer Model 66 in a treadle base AND a 1937 Singer 128 in a box base (no lid.) The treadle needs a belt and a slide plate cover, the cabinet has 7 drawers and needs 2 of the wheels (I located them on eBay) other than that it was just dirty. It came with all the accessories. The lady just wanted them out of her garage. My other treadle I have was free - a 1922 White Family Rotary that my SIL gave me. She was using as a side table in a basement rec room and was happy to have it gone. I have seen treadles listed on Craig's List for huge amounts - up to $200 firm, but today's check has a lot of them most listed form $40 - $100, with a nice coffin top in good shape for $60.
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:31 AM

Thank you all for your posts. They have been most helpful.