Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine? >
  • What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

• What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 AM

I bought a 1888 apple blossom decal Singer this past weekend for $40. She needs a new belt. It has a coffin top box cover, only one drawer on each side and the wood is dry and needs some help. There are a couple of bobbins and feet also. Anxious to get her cleaned up and running. Need to do some research about her model.
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by mrsmail
    I paid $125 for a Singer 3/4 machine made in Great Britain and brought over from Scotland by the ladies' family. (Most I have paid.) Well worth the money. The cabinet has only 1 drawer but is in very nice condition. I paid $106 for a Singer Cabinet with a beautiful Red Eye Machine in it. Cabinet and machine looked like almost new. Needed a new belt, which my sewing machine man here in town sold me for $11 and some change. I have 10 treadle machines. Now that I am really looking for them, they are everywhere. I have bought machines that are not SINGER, but I bought those for the cabinets, in case I get heads with no treadles. I really only want to buy SINGER. I am looking for a Singer(Tiffany) if you know of anyone who has one for sale within driving distance of me.

One of the treadle from CL this morning - Tiffany with a fantastic cabinet - driving distance a little far:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2631604415.html
    Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 AM

If you really love it and don't get for that price difference you might shed a few tears. I would definately be breaking the sound barrier to the shop.

Originally Posted by AshleyR
    $62.50 plus tax. Brings her to around $68. Money is really tight but this might be a once in a lifetime chance. Dh says to go for it. I'm not so sure.
    Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 AM

I paid $150. for the 1917 Singer model 66 "Red Eye" in my avatar. Completely cleaned, tuned up, new belt, attachments and cabinet. Decals aren't perfect but still beautiful. I feel like I got a good deal.
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM

I have at least 15 in various states of "health". All fill a room upstairs waiting for me to work on them. I recently got a White treadle in a nice 7 drawer oak cabinet
    for $70. Some have good machines, some have only decent cabinets. No more room! I find them on Craigslist. Freecycle, and even on the road after garage sales. I like reading the vintage sewing machine thread on this site. If you read sites about treadles on the Web you'll be able to decide what machine you'd like and how much restoration you can handle. Then you can probably find a good machine you can actually use for less than $100. And- many of the old treadles are a lot like the old VW's- easy to change parts. Have Fun!
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 AM

My eye teeth!!!!!! If it is $300 or under and in such shape as you have been told it is worth every penny, and grab it!
    Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    My eye teeth!!!!!! If it is $300 or under and in such shape as you have been told it is worth every penny, and grab it!
    :thumbup: ...I got a chuckle out of your answer...and, I actually gave a lil nod, too...
    Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
    Wow! That's crazy, because I was about to post a very similar question, but now I'll just hitchhike on your thread! :)

I found a working Singer in an antique store. The belt was off track and it didn't "work", but the foot pedal works and the needle goes up and down when you crank the wheel. It's clean and the cabinet is in good condition too. They are only asking $75 for it, and I offered $50. The store owners tried to get in touch with the owner of the machine, and wasn't able to yesterday. Today, the owner called me and had to leave me a message. She said she has a price they will accept (but she didn't leave it in the VM!). I've been looking on Craigslist and nobody comes close to the $75. I would like to have a solid "yes" or "no" for her when I return her call. I think I can probably get it for $65. I would love opinions on this!

I don't machine quilt right now because I'm very unfamiliar with my sewing machine. I am hoping I can start using my machine soon, but it's so fast and intimidating! I thought I could use a treadle to control the speed better until I get the hang of it.
    You better grab it!! I just paid $250 for a red eye in a beautiful birdseye maple cabinet, six drawers. needs a belt. but it makes a beautiful tight stitch.

MY BEAUTIFUL RED EYE
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]266272[/ATTACH]

back view
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]266274[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-266219.jpe   attachment-266220.jpe   attachment-266221.jpe  
    Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Originally Posted by mrsmail
    I paid $125 for a Singer 3/4 machine made in Great Britain and brought over from Scotland by the ladies' family. (Most I have paid.) Well worth the money. The cabinet has only 1 drawer but is in very nice condition. I paid $106 for a Singer Cabinet with a beautiful Red Eye Machine in it. Cabinet and machine looked like almost new. Needed a new belt, which my sewing machine man here in town sold me for $11 and some change. I have 10 treadle machines. Now that I am really looking for them, they are everywhere. I have bought machines that are not SINGER, but I bought those for the cabinets, in case I get heads with no treadles. I really only want to buy SINGER. I am looking for a
    Singer(Tiffany) if you know of anyone who has one for sale within driving distance of me.

One of the treadle from CL this morning - Tiffany with a fantastic cabinet - driving distance a little far:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2631604415.html
    this is a beautiful cabinet!!
    Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Sorry, it has 4 drawers. I have been looking at this machine for a couple of years. It had a price of $425 on it so I have just kept looking. I went to the antique mall the other day and the booth had a 40% off sign. So I bought it. These machines are so simple that there is practically no up keep. This one has a drop in bobbin. The bobbins are available on ebay, just ordered some this morning. It isn't even very dirty. The head needs to be cleaned and polished, probably because it has never been cleaned but the decals are all intact. On the front edge in front of the needle one of the decals has a pin scratch. But the decals are firmly attached. Can't wait to get a belt for it so I can play!!!
    There is a site that has lots of machines below $50 and have all been cleaned and refurbisheds but you have to add shipping to that and shipping isn't cheap. They have to be packed well enough to not get damaged in shipping. So.....maybe I paid to much for this machine but I have wanted it for a long time and I was willing to pay this price. Would have been nice to get it for under $100 but I have been looking for a long time. I am happy with my purchase!!!!