Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine? >
  • What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

• What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM

I just love the cabinet with the machine in Walworth, Beautiful!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM
    Dee

Go for it.
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM

I'd give my eye teeth!!!!!! They simply don't show up in our area at all!!!!!
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AshleyR
    $62.50 plus tax. Brings her to around $68. Money is really tight but this might be a once in a lifetime chance. Dh says to go for it. I'm not so sure.
    Go get it! Treadle belts are meant to come off track and go right back on, so that's not a flaw, at all... If the machine seems to run decently and the cabinet is nice, that's a steal. Plus once you clean out the old oil and replace it, the machine will run even better.

I LOVE to piece quilts on mine. Such glorious precision and beautiful stitches. They don't make them like that today. Not anywhere...
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM

I paid $25 for my 1921 singer, got it at a yard sale. Normally we go home a different way but just decided to go for a drive, saw the sale stopped and got the old singer and a really old ruffler. I love vintage!
    Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Me too! My brother has two but he won't share!
    Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM

Values are very subjective to the eye of the beholder. In the case of an instrument it would be the ear.
    Also the word antiqu only applies if the item is more then 100 years old. If it is vintage- which means older but not antique the value is not as high. Make sure ot has the shuttle and bobbins and any attachments. Also someone who says not a scratch on it may be honestly right or not depending on their system of evaluation. Rust, mildew etc also can do unseen damage so the surface may look great but under side may not.
    Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
    Values are very subjective to the eye of the beholder. In the case of an instrument it would be the ear.
    Also the word antiqu only applies if the item is more then 100 years old. If it is vintage- which means older but not antique the value is not as high. Make sure ot has the shuttle and bobbins and any attachments. Also someone who says not a scratch on it may be honestly right or not depending on their system of evaluation. Rust, mildew etc also can do unseen damage so the surface may look great but under side may not.
    Oh yes - be sure to make sure they have the parts - if it needs a shuttle make sure its there! Trust me, they can be hard to find! Also some of the older machines take odd sized needles! For example my Minnesota B - which is why I'll never put it in a base!
    Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Originally Posted by mrsmail
    I paid $125 for a Singer 3/4 machine made in Great Britain and brought over from Scotland by the ladies' family. (Most I have paid.) Well worth the money. The cabinet has only 1 drawer but is in very nice condition. I paid $106 for a Singer Cabinet with a beautiful Red Eye Machine in it. Cabinet and machine looked like almost new. Needed a new belt, which my sewing machine man here in town sold me for $11 and some change. I have 10 treadle machines. Now that I am really looking for them, they are everywhere. I have bought machines that are not SINGER, but I bought those for the cabinets, in case I get heads with no treadles. I really only want to buy SINGER. I am looking for a Singer(Tiffany) if you know of anyone who has one for sale within driving distance of me.

One of the treadle from CL this morning - Tiffany with a fantastic cabinet - driving distance a little far:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2631604415.html
    It's too far away. Makes me want to cry!
    Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by winter012
    I'd give my eye teeth!!!!!! They simply don't show up in our area at all!!!!!
    You know why they don't show up in your area? I used to live in EP and I had a Mexican maid. She told me that most of the poorer folks don't have electricity and they have treadle or crank sewing machines. She said that a lot of times they would pull the machine outside on a moonlit night and sew by the light of the moon. So that is probably where they all end up in your area.