Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What would you use? >
  • What would you use?

• What would you use?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 AM

I have Janomes and love them. Go test drive one. Also, since the new janome TOL has been released, you might get a really good deal on one that you would like. I would assume they would want to sell all the other machines as well. I got my sewing/embroidery machine last year after the quilt show. Got a show machine with warranty as a new one, but a lot cheaper. Just a thought.
    Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Congratulations on your arrival and I remember the days when sewing wasn't as important. Kudos to your husband for being so appreciative. I hope you find the machine of your dreams and sew happily ever after!
    Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 AM

If you're going to machine quilt on this new machine, get the biggest throat space you can afford. I'm partial to Brothers. I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500s and out of 7 machines, it's my favorite. You will want to make a list of things you HAVE to have when you shop around - for instance, does it have an auto thread cutter? Do you want decorative stitches or will a straight-stitch only machine work for you? Knee lift? Needle up option? Extension table?

Good luck and keep asking questions!
    Old 08-27-2013, 12:26 PM

Congrats on your little one. I remember those days when sewing for my kids was something I did. Clothing is cheaper to buy than make these days. Anyway I had a Singer Futura for 45 years and said to myself they must have made some improvements and since in retirement quilting is my love, I bought a Janome 6260 Quilter's Companion. I love it. It is now my take to classes machine as my sweet daughter bought me a Janome 6600 P which has a wider neck. I love the acufeed and the thread cutter. Love, Love my Janome's.
    Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
    Power Poster

I have two straight stitch machines. I don't do fancy stitches, cost less than 900.00. My Daughter has the Brother 1500 about 600.00. Straight stitch only.
    Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
    Power Poster

I have a Bernina 153QE. It is going on 15 years old now and still sews like a dream. I find I don't use many of the fancy stitches at all. Mostly just straight. It doesn't have too many. I think maybe 30 or so and an alphabet. I don't do half of what the machine is capable of doing. The front loading bobbin is wonderful for FMQ because you don't have to man handle the quilt out of the way as is necessary with a drop in. Features I love: knee lift, needle up down feature. I didn't do too much FMQ on my Bernina, I could never pick up the knack for it. I did do a lot of straight stitch machine quilting with the walking foot though. Never did quilt anything bigger than a twin size. I saved up and added a longarm to my stable.
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM

I think the janome 6600P is in your price range. I don't have janome as I am a brother/babylock gal and can tell all I love about them. I am not a fan of bernina, however, they are overpriced IMHO, their accessories are overly expensive, and I did not like how they sew, and for the expensive price you would think you would get more bells and whistles and sadly they are lacking in this area as well IMHO. I know janomes are very affordable and highly popular. especially for their accufeed although from what I hear the IDT on pfaffs are better designed than accufeed system on janomes, but I have only seen 1 pfaff demonstrated for me so I can't compare.
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM

How central are you? Just got an email from Creative Stitches care in Monroeville Pa that she is selling machines at expo prices.We just had the sewing and quilting expos this past weekend.If you want something a lot less pricey and very utilitarian I have the Singer QUILTERS confidence and am very happy with it. Good luck and tell hubby thanks.
    Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 PM

What a great hubby you have. Enjoy your new machine and happy quilting.
    Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 AM

I love my Janome 6600 it quilts without a problem and will sew just as easy. I have put it up on a frame to use as mid arm before I got my Tin Lizzy. It will push your price range but will be the last machine you buy for 10-15 year or better with proper upkeep. Shows are coming up so you will be able to get a decent deal if you are able to attend one. Good Luck Shopping and you know we like to see pictures of quilt helpers too Grats on the new wee one :-)