Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What you learn in a quilt class stays in the quilt class? >
  • What you learn in a quilt class stays in the quilt class?

• What you learn in a quilt class stays in the quilt class?

Old 03-09-2019, 05:07 AM

I learned a technique in a Sharon Shamber class. I paid for the class. I have shared that knowledge and gave her credit. We all do this. Would this quilt curmudgeon think differently had to said the class was free or not mentioned the class at all? Here is a definition: curmudgeon (plural curmudgeons) (archaic) A miser. An ill-tempered person full of stubborn ideas or opinions. Fits. Ignore her and keep sharing.
    Old 03-09-2019, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    A technique can't even be copyrighted. It was fine for you to demonstrate it. The lady who was taking pictures of the patterns, however, was violating copyright law. It's odd that she sees fault in your action and not in hers.
    It's always easier to see someone else's fault. But someone should point out that she is violating copyright laws. Whew! I don't think I'd like to do it, though. Sounds like a tyrant type person.
    Old 03-09-2019, 06:24 AM

We learn new techniques from this board. I share those ideas with others. When I took a class after buying a new sewing machine, the instructor stated she always learned from those in the classes. That woman passed those on to her students. Sharing ideas is how we all learn.
    Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    A technique can't even be copyrighted. It was fine for you to demonstrate it. The lady who was taking pictures of the patterns, however, was violating copyright law. It's odd that she sees fault in your action and not in hers.
    Betty Cotton has patented her Cotton Theory method of quilting. "Cotton Theory U.S. Patent No. 6696129"
    This is a technique, not a pattern. I have made one quilt with that technique. It's great if you don't want to be wrestling with a large quilt. The only time you have the whole quilt at the machine is for the last strip, and that's almost like putting on the binding. You are working near an edge.
    Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 AM

Peckish - I definitely LOL at your comment!!

SusieQOH - I agree
    Old 03-09-2019, 07:21 AM

To me, quilting is sharing by it's own tradition. Whether passed from friend to friend or given in a lecture. I think instructors know that information will be shared. On the other hand, I have taken expensive classes and have had people request a lecture or demo on it. That bugs me. They should have taken the class themselves. I will give a lecture, but not neccesarily on a certain skill or technique. Just an overview of the class.
    Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 AM

Give me a break! Share the technique, onebyone .... and I hope the other members share it again and again.
    Old 03-09-2019, 07:58 AM

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!

With that thinking only the first person to use a rotary cutter and those who have paid her for the class on rotary cutting should be able to rotary cut.
    Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I was showing a few quilters at guild a new way to make prairie points I learned how to do in a class. One member said that was the same as stealing from the instructor and I shouldn't do it. I didn't back down and kept on showing it just shaking my head. (this same member will skim through old quilt magazines on our free table and take pictures of the patterns she likes so she doesn't have to take the whole magazine). What is everyone's opinion about sharing what they learn from a quilt class? Not the written handouts just what was demonstrated.
    I'd say that person is a control freak and wants to stir the pot. IGNORE. BUT printed material is often copywrite stuff and requires special permission. WHICH I learned can take up to several months. LOL
    Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 PM

A long time ago I learned this aphorism: "See one, do one, teach one." It's how we learn, and it's how we become teachers. I've been a certified server trainer at the restaurant I work at, and I can tell you that teaching others so many times over the years made me much, much better at my job. (Also avoiding having them catch me not doing as I said, but that's another story, riiiiight?) So, I see this as trying to squelch the basic human impulse to teach another after having seen one and done one.

And Patrice, I loved that squished comment, lol. I'm gonna remember that.