Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What are your criteria for buying fabric when on vacation? >
  • What are your criteria for buying fabric when on vacation?

• What are your criteria for buying fabric when on vacation?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM
    Power Poster

I usually buy fabric that reminds me of the trip, or something that I haven't seen before.
    As far as purchasing breakables from Bronners, just tell the cashier that you are traveling and they will pack it very well.
    Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM

2 extra suitcases..... 1 for fabric, 1 for Bronner's
    or boxes to ship them home in
    wear comfy shoes for walking around Frankenmuth
    Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM

My only criteria is "Carol if you absolutely love it buy it".
    Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM

This is so funny! I do buy fabric on vacation but usually more souvenier oriented, and patterns by local designers. For instance, in Alaska I bought some scenic Alaska fabric and a pattern called "Alaska photo album".

The funny one was our last trip to Hawaii. My hubby is a woodworker and wanted to bring home some Koa wood from Kona on the Big Island. HE ended up buying an extra suitcase to bring it home. That meant that *I* had to buy fabric to fill it up and cushion the wood. Hawaii Fabric Mart closed their Hilo store but Thanks goodness for Kimura's and the Discount Fabric Warehouse! The Warehouse even had a $5 off coupon in one of those tourist coupon/ad books that are everywhere.
    Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Skyangel - LOVED your story! Total justification for fabrics - you needed to keep all that wood safe!

As for Bronners - thankfully my friend has three family members that work for FedEx. I see shipping in my future. I was telling a neighbor where we were going and she said that I'm going to have to add a room to my house. I collect Santa Claus stuff and it's getting out of hand during the holidays. Hundreds of Santas and six Christmas trees to decorate. I don't think I'll have any trouble finding things I "have to" have!
    Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM

I usually make a list of "quilting wants" ahead of time. There have been those times, though, when the list is ignored due to a serendipitous moment, and I buy something(s) that I had never expected and have never regretted it.

There's a quilt shop in Frankenmuth - I've never been there, but it's on my list for the next trip back to visit family.

http://www.thefrontporchquiltshop.com/
    Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM

My husband and I have never been on a vacation. If we did go on one that would be the last place he would go with me. I go on a bus to quilt shows with my guild and enjoy seeing lots of new and different things there. Always spend too much.
    Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pilgrim
    My husband and I have never been on a vacation.
    Amazing. How long have you been married?

In answer to the OP...one time I was in Germany with my DH and we saw a quilt shop. I said, "Oh DH, let's go in and I'll get some fabric for 5 Euro!" (money was tight)...we were going around on the buses on a pass--looking for Media Markt for some reason--I think we needed something computer related. Anyway, when I went into this quilt shop in Germany, I saw some beautiful, beautiful fabric but my 5 Euros got me about 7" of fabric! Really it was too funny. The fabric was beautiful but I was so distressed by how expensive it was/is!

Nowadays when I go on a trip, I look for something distinctive from that area....so when we went to Africa last year I looked for African batiks or prints. I think I have a pattern in mind nowadays for my fabric--haven't made it yet.

When we go to the states in a couple of weeks, I have some specific prints I want to order to make a couple of specific quilts--otherwise, I will look to fill holes in my stash, plus some more modern "brights", if I can.
    Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM

I know quilters are born rule-breakers, but isn't it a rule that you don't leave any quilt shop empty-handed?
    Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 AM

Definitely good walking shoes for Bronners. Until you see it, you'll have no idea that there could be that much Christmas stuff in one place, it's HUGE.