Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What are your favorite color combinations for quilting? >
  • What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

• What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 AM

I tend to like every color if it is combined right with other colors. A big for instance is the color orange. I love to see it combined with purple, blue and red. Mostly I like earth tones and Autumn colors best though.
    Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 AM

I like mine best when there is some yellow in there.
    Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 AM
    Power Poster

I go with what catches my eye and also if making for someone in particular, such as a teenage artsy granddaughter, something that would definitely catch her eye. GD is graduating this summer. She's not into reds, orange or yellow. Not into the cutesy country quilts but still loves the scrappys. They give her ideas for her different designs. i'm leaning toward some optical illusion designs. I found a material that looks like a mixture of oil and water. Like after a rain and the sun is out when you see the oil and rain trying to mix in a puddle but doesn't . It's a real pretty print. Has purple, green, blue, and kind of a magenta with a very, very fine thread of yellow that looks like a metallic gold. Found it at JoAnn's. I picked other fabrics that I thought would compliment that. For a strong contrast, I found a white print that also had a light blue and green. We'll see. It probably won't be finished for her graduation but she will get shortly after.
    Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 AM

My favorites are blue and yellow together in traditional patterns. That's what makes me smile. I'm not crazy about batiks either but my friends LOVE them.
    Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 AM

I love black & white, the last wall hanging/throw was black, white and melon/coral thrown in here and there. Just love it. I am now making, a quilt club project, we have BOM ones I am using lime green in this one. I do not like bright colors, more muted ones. Also soft whites, off whites and light tan in quilts I really like.
    Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM

I usually go for brights. I usually use hand painted, hand dyes, Batiks, blenders and prints, but not stylized prints. I haven't used much white in anything I've made, but now with the Modern Movement, white seems to be popular. I'm not a fan of grey in anything,( home dec, car interiors, clothing, paint, etc.)
    Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 AM

I LOVE batiks in any color and use them often. I am more into bright colors and often when I am buying fabric the clerk will ask if I am using those colors together. I guess like every area of my life, when picking fabric and colors, I am a rebel.
    Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM

I use traditional scrappy colours of all hues. I do not like batiks or tone on tone at all...
    Just my choice
    Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM

I started with Christmas colours for projects. Then began making quilts in red and black and white. Going on to burgundy and any colour matching the fabric. Now adays my next project is always. A different colour to the one just finishing .at present. Green main colour, turquoise and last blue. .
    Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 AM

I love everything...that is my problem...it takes me forever to get fabrics together for a project.