Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions? >
  • What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

• What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Now is the time to buy glue stick as walmart has a huge sale on it since school has started, buy up a lot and put it in the freezer to keep so it doesn't dry out, takes only a few minutes to thaw out to use.
    Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM

What a wonderful idea on the sewing machine needles..See. that's why I love this site...thanks so much for sharing. I have been sewing for years off and on and definitely do not consider myself an expert...just started quilting several years ago so it's great to get all the latest updates on what is new. Thank you all for sharing
    Old 09-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Two rubber door stops. Put under the back side of the machine so it tips it up a bit in back. Makes for a nice slightly elevated sewing area.
    Also a door peep hole. You can look through it and get perspective on your quilt. You can see if you need to move blocks as its like looking at the quilt from across a room.
    Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty
    One of my most favorite tools is my hemostat. That's the clamp that surgeons use to clamp off blood vessels before they tie them off during surgery. Kept mine from my nurse's days. You can probably find them in a hospital or uniform suplly store. They work great for pulling up the bobbin thread, for pulling the loop through the needle for self-threading machines, for holding the machine needle when changing it, and for a lot of other things where it's just too small to get our fingers in.
    They also have them for low costs at Harbor Freight. Which, by the way, I never heard of until this board, and now I'm a frequent shopper!
    Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Just added a magnetic knife holder and June Taylor ruler to my shopping list...
    Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Glue stick???? Please do share this knowledge... sounds very intriguing.. Doesn't it gum up your needle???

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Let's see, I love my rotary cutting board that goes in circles, and I love my light that is attached to the side of my machine so I can see better, and I love my glue sticks for getting the seams to line up perfectly, a trick I learned in a class. This is great. I know I have more favrotites but these are first. ANd I love the Sewing machine lifter my DH made me. Makes it so much better n my back not to have to lean up so far. Thank you.
    Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM

Sharon Schambers uses gle on everything. She uses the glue stick and elmer's with a tiny tip. On applique you can use it to hold the 1/4" under and then place it with the glue.

My favorite things in addition to the usual is my frosted ruler, my serrated scissors, walking foot, glue, and starch.

I learned about the starch from you all and it's one of the best tips I've leaned lately. It makes it so much easier to match seams.
    Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
    Bev

I love my square revolving cutting mat. I cut a lot of small pieces for scrap quilts and crazy quilts. The revolving mat makes life so much easier for me.
    Someone else mentioned the light that you stick on the side of your machine, and I have one too. This is as important to me as the mat, maybe more so. Before I got it I could never see well enough. The light on my Janome 760 is very poor. This little lamp solved the problem big time! 8-)
    Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

Probably my 2 rotary cutters and my well about 6 diffrent mats.
    Old 09-16-2010, 04:43 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by lhavelka
    Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    I was going to mention the june taylor shape cutter, but someone already did. I have trouble cutting my strips, this has helped me and is so fast. I love the darn thing.

Rita
    I hear you Rita!!!! Love that thing too!
    I just recently got one, and I agree! It's terrific. Also there's a tute on line for those who want to see how it's done.