Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your favorite strip width for scrappy log cabins? >
  • What is your favorite strip width for scrappy log cabins?

• What is your favorite strip width for scrappy log cabins?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:37 AM

http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinStarsBlock.html

here is the link for the log cabin stars. I am currentyly making one also. Somehow with all the requests for quilts though it has landed in the UFO pile for a little while.

My log cabin stars WIP
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69399[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-69394.jpe  
    Old 05-18-2010, 05:11 AM

For those of you that have made a log cabin quilt -- do you cut all the strips the correct length before you sew them together?? I'm sure that I would mess that all up! :lol:
    Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    For those of you that have made a log cabin quilt -- do you cut all the strips the correct length before you sew them together?? I'm sure that I would mess that all up! :lol:
    I never have, and there are some forms of log cabin that it is nearly impossible to do it (diamond log cabin comes to mind) ... however!
    I have read all the reasons to cut the correct lengths before starting, and I am beginning to think that those who propose it are correct!
    Get yourself some clip clothespins (if you are very young <g> you may never have seen one, but we will help you! LOL)
    Anyway, with a sharpie, you can mark the sizes of strips you need to cut, do some math to know how many to cut to that length, and then just put the correct strip in the correct clothespin - - with chainpiecing, you will be on a good path <wave>
    Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bitty39
    If you use two different widths you can makea curved kinda affect....as per below.

From memory they were 1" and 1 1/2"!

First time I've ever seen the curved placement design...talk about dynamic and beautiful! Thanks for posting this photo.
    Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM

I like to do this as it gives you a sort of running check that all your seam allowances are OK. If the strip you are currently adding is too long or too short, you can see straight away that a seam(s) must be wonky!
    Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

I tried, but found I lack the patience and fortitude to do this. It delays getting to the sewing a *lot*! Since I have strip-pieced log cabins without problems of accuracy, I have gone back to strip piecing and cutting to size as I go. Just works better for me.
    Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!! Since my sewing isn't ALWAYS that precise, it sounds like a good idea to cut all the strips ahead of time. I guess I'll just have to cut a little while sewing on another project so that I don't get burnt out on making the quilt before I get started sewing...

And, Omak, to really date myself, I had to hang out clothes when my daughter was little -- in the winter. Darn frozen diapers :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    Originally Posted by Prism99
    I've made log cabin blocks with wider widths, but not the 1.5 inch cut width.

Any advice?
    I like small strips because the give a lot of movement to the finished piece. But I most often use 2" strips because I am usually making quilts for Project Linus, and they need a lot of quilts-- fast!

Here's a link to a great article from the Quilt Study Center on Log Cabin quilts, showing different settings and explaining a lot of why they do what they do.
    http://www.quiltstudy.org/includes/d...lleryguide.pdf
    That was fabulous.
    Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!! Since my sewing isn't ALWAYS that precise, it sounds like a good idea to cut all the strips ahead of time. I guess I'll just have to cut a little while sewing on another project so that I don't get burnt out on making the quilt before I get started sewing...

And, Omak, to really date myself, I had to hang out clothes when my daughter was little -- in the winter. Darn frozen diapers :lol: :lol: :lol:
    LOL ... isn't life experience a WONDERFUL thing??? LOL <wave>
    Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peggy
    I always cut my excess fabric into 2" strips for future quilt projects. Have made several log cabin quilts out of this size strips. Really like the look I get with this width.

However, I still have hundreds - HUNDREDS - of scrap strips in this width and need another pattern(s) as I am tired of log cabins (at the moment). Anyone have any idea(s) about how I can use these 2" wide strips? I prefer easy patterns!
    Check out quiltville.com for free patterns, many are made with 2" strips.