Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your favorite strip width for scrappy log cabins? >
  • What is your favorite strip width for scrappy log cabins?

• What is your favorite strip width for scrappy log cabins?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 PM
    Banned

thank you all for the information. God bless. Penny
    Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM

Thank you guys for this thread. I also would like to make my first log cabin from my scraps. But question, What about hand quilting - is hard to quilt with the strips not being so wide? Or would it be better to press open (now that scares me, 'cuz then the seams aren't protected as well) or am I being too parinoid (not sure of spelling). lol
    Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

With narrow strips in a log cabin, you have the prospect of a *lot* of seams to hand quilt through. One solution is to just hand quilt a line through the middle of each log. You can spiral, or make concentric squares to minimize the seam allowances you have to cross. With wider strips, you have the option of outlining 1/4-inch inside each strip, never crossing a seam allowance.

I'm not paranoid about pressing seams open if the seams are made by machine. The original reason to press seams to the side was to strengthen hand-pieced seams. Machine-pieced seams are strong enough. I wouldn't use a polyester batting or wool batting with seams pressed open, though, because of the higher risk of "bearding" through the seams. (As far as I know, cotton batting does not beard.)

I think it would be a pain to press seams open for log cabin blocks, though. It's more difficult and time-consuming to press a seam open than it is to press it to the side. The big reason to press seams open is to achieve better accuracy for intricately pieced designs.
    Old 05-24-2010, 03:01 PM

I agree Prism, I have hand quilted several log cabins with no problem.
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:59 AM
    Google Goddess

watching this thread
    Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM
    JJs
    Banned

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    Originally Posted by Prism99
    I've made log cabin blocks with wider widths, but not the 1.5 inch cut width.

Any advice?
    I like small strips because the give a lot of movement to the finished piece. But I most often use 2" strips because I am usually making quilts for Project Linus, and they need a lot of quilts-- fast!

Here's a link to a great article from the Quilt Study Center on Log Cabin quilts, showing different settings and explaining a lot of why they do what they do.
    http://www.quiltstudy.org/includes/d...lleryguide.pdf
    wow, fantastic link/guide - thanks

:thumbup:
    Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 PM

this is gorgeous!! love the blue! I am just starting a log cabin, with paper piecing, because I struggled with making one block wihtout it getting all mixed up with lights, and darks in wrong posititon. lol. So I am cheating I suppose, and marking the paper I printed with an " l " and a " d" to help me remember! You did a great job!
    Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Peggy
    I always cut my excess fabric into 2" strips for future quilt projects. Have made several log cabin quilts out of this size strips. Really like the look I get with this width.

However, I still have hundreds - HUNDREDS - of scrap strips in this width and need another pattern(s) as I am tired of log cabins (at the moment). Anyone have any idea(s) about how I can use these 2" wide strips? I prefer easy patterns!
    Hello. Have you seen this site? Various widths of strips, you could use a lot of your 2" strips in these. I have made a couple different ones , very pretty.
    http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...ilt-along.html
    Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 AM

I want to make the quilt as u go log cabin, i just thought it would b fun, and using 1 3/4- or 2 inch strips, has anyone done one like that??? I want my squares to b 10 inches, or i might change to 12 inches. Is anyone good at math or know of a sight to help figure out the yardage for a king size quilt, i would appreciate it. I will add two borders all the way around and maybe sashings in between. thanks for the help. And a big thank u to the person who startest this great topic, i love log cabins and the color red, so mine will be reds. thank u