Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your favourite sewing machine and why? >
  • What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

• What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 AM

I have so many quilting friends and we all have a variety of machines.

Personally, I'd first look at my budget. Then I'd list what features I definitely want. Remember most quilters really don't use all the fancy stitches available. I definitely would want a machine where I could move the needle to more that 3 positions. I would want at least a blanket stitch and an adjustable zig zag to a wobble stitch.

The I'd have to decide if I want a new or used machine.

Lastly I'd go try out all the different machines and find which one I'd bond with the most.

I love my Pfaff's and another friend loves her _____. It is personal. If you don't bond with it you won't enjoy using it.

ali
    Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 AM

I love my Featherweight for straight stitching...My New Home 8000 for the applique stitch and any of the others for machine quilting. Have a Juki for that but have done smaller ones on Baby Locks,,of which I have several. The Singer 301 is a great machine also...I switch around but my 301 needs rewiring and it is a cabinet so haven't used it for a bit. Have to take it when the weather gets cooler. If you are thinking of buying a machine try it out first. If the shop won't let you or if buying second had doesn't let you try it yourself go someplace else. I had friends that had the machines I have, except 1, so I took small pieces to do stitches and a batted small piece to work on...worked very well for me. Repositioning the needle is important, budget and like others say you don't need all the stitches....I have several for embroidery work but don't do enough of that so one sits most of the time.
    Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 AM

Of all of my sewing machines, my favorite machines are the Singer 401 and/or 403 (I have both). They were made in the 60’s. They are good sturdy machines that handle almost any type of work I want to do from hemming jeans to working on my quilts. The needle can be moved both to the right and the left of the center position so I don’t need a special presser foot for my ¼ inch seam allowance on my quilt blocks. I just move the needle to my ¼ seam allowance. You can usually pick them up off of craigslist from $125 - $400. They have the slant needle foot like the 301 which makes it easy to see my needle work. The 401 can zigzag without a cam but the 403 needs a cam to do zigzagging. (You can buy cams on ebay.)

Most of my other machines are Singers..(301; featherweight; treadle 15-91; 99; 66 and a hand crank 127 or 27 (I don’t remember which)). I do have a modern mechanical New Home machine that does a good job.

In about a year, I do plan on selling most of my collection but keeping my model 400 series machines. At that time, I believe I’ll upgrade my serger and buy an embroidery machine. (The 401 and 403 does have some embroidery capabilities. The 403 has to use cams for all of its embroidery but the 401 does have some embroidery capabilities already in the machine.)
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 AM

i have a singer touch n sew 920 that i gave $5.00 for and love that machine to pieces. sews like a dream. i don't have any new machines. all mine are oldies.
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
    Power Poster

If your present machine is sewing a decent straight stitch, that's really all you need for piecing.

Many a fine garment was constructed on straight-stitch only machines.
    Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM

I love my Janome 6600P! I also have a Janome 750 for classes and retreats. Very light.
    Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 AM

My current "favorite" is my 1951 Singer 301. She is a wonder!! Sews a super straight seam, nice size, can drop feed dogs for FMQ, lots of attachments available. She doesn't do zigzag without an attachment. I don't have it, but I have other machines that do zz, so I don't care.

She only cost about $100 after getting all the feet, etc. I wanted for her.
    Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 AM
    Power Poster

A guild member just bought the top of the line Kenmore machine. It's super nice! For the money it has features the very expensive machines have. She let me play with it all afternoon and I was very impressed. It will probably be my next new machine.
    Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM
    Power Poster

Baby Lock Espire (which is now called "Symphonie"). Love the machine because she is not persnickety at all. Nice large throat, large extension table, all sorts of stitches (fancy and regular), she isn't touchy about the thread, easy to clean, WONDERFUL one-touch needle threader....I can't sing her praises enough. The only thing missing is the built-in walking foot. Oh well, bought a separate one.
    Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Well, does your cheapie machine sew a straight stitch reliably? Machines that don't are just too frustrating to deal with. With my vintage machines, I have no worries about that. And when I wanted to actually quilt the top, they are excellent for straight quilting ( grids, in the ditch, etc). For the bells and whistles, I use the Bernina, but I love, love, love my oldies.

So in the end, if your cheapie sews a great stitch and is reliable, I'd say stick with it ... at least for now.[/quote]

I'm not sure - its the only machine I've ever had and I am only starting - so I could just be a really wonky sewer...which is likely.