Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your favourite sewing machine and why? >
  • What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

• What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:10 AM

Hi there,

I am eager to get started on a quilt for my children. But I have a horrid cheapy machine that I think people buy for reparing rips and putting on buttons, I just really don't think it will cut it for a quilt at all. I would love to hear which machine people find best and why.

Thanks so much!
    Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 AM

Really like my babylock quilter's choice but if I were to do it all over again, I would go for something with a much bigger harp space/throat. Mine is only about 7 inches.

My suggestion is to look at the harp space/throat space, find one that comes with an extension table, self threading needle, walking foot and darning foot, and possibly a stitch regulator and the ability to drop the feed dogs.
    Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 AM

I have the Brother cs60000i its awesome but throat space is to small.Im going to get the Janome Horizon for the bigger throat
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 AM

Depends on what you're looking for. If you plan on machine quilting than do as hopetoquilt says - look for a machine with a large harp/throat. I machine piece but hand quilt. The only things I machine quilt are charity quilts that require machine quilting. Ergo, throat space doesn't really matter to me. I have a Viking Platinum and love it. I also have a FW on which I've also done piecing and I have another vintage singer that I'm in the process of getting into my g'grandmothers old base. Haven't done much with it yet. My Viking has needle/up down - which I love; speed control; a host of embroidery stitches that I rarely use as well as a host of other wonderful features. I did alot of research online as to which machines had the features I wanted; costs; service availability and then tried them once I narrowed down my list of wants/needs. You'd be surprised what you can get your most basic of machines to accomplish. Give it a whirl.
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 AM

My 401A Singer and the 301A; both are workhorses and can sew perfect stitching.
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:28 AM

LOVE my Janome!
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 AM

I guess I would be doing machine quilting...I really am just starting out..I am at that point where I can't really imagine myself actually quilting(I have moments where I think I'll get a professional to finish the quilts off for me) I know it sounds bad, but it looks so intricate and hard! I need to join a class. So basically at this point I have finished a top - but haven't acutally done anything else.....do you think I should just stick with my cheapie machine for now? I have been collecting gorgeous fabric for 5 years now....I have heaps and I absolutley have to use it or my hubby will freak!! :)
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:39 AM

For newer machine look at the Husqvarna Vikings since they have a sensor foot that lifts when you take foot off peddle.
    If vintage my 301 and 301A are great for straight and FM stitching...better then newer machines.
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 AM

Hi Beebs. When I started quilting about a year ago, I went out and bought a great Bernina on the advice of my good friend who has been quilting for years. It has all the bells and whistles. Then I discovered vintage sewing machines. :P

It's now hard for me to decide which I like better, my Viking 6570 (made in 1979ish) or my Singer 301A (made in 1951). They are both all metal with no plastic gears and sew beautifully. The Singer is a simple straight stitch machine and light enough for me to carry to my Quilts of Valor group. In fact that's why I got it. The Viking is heavy, but it has the capability of doing 32 decorative stitches. They are both workhorses and neither is computerized which can be a bonus, believe it or not. So for well under $600, I have two utterly reliable machines that sew quietly and lovely to look at too!

Viking 6460
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]242944[/ATTACH]

Singer 301A
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]242945[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-242938.jpe   attachment-242939.jpe  
    Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 AM

My favorites are Viking Quilt Designer and Singer 401A.