Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if >
  • What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if

• What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if

Old 11-17-2017, 05:03 PM

I agree that throw size is best for my purposes. Great for donations as well as other things. I like to keep one quilt in my car for emergencies.
    Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 PM
    Power Poster

I have made and given bed size quilts to family, friends of family. Now I just make bed quilts for myself, I have about 4 and a couple more planned this coming year.
    I have twin or a bit larger made in previous years.

Now I am making quilts 45x60" for kids in foster care. I don't get thank yous except from the young woman I give them to. I don't put labels on those or any quilts. I just love to make quilts and can't store any except for me.
    Old 11-17-2017, 06:38 PM
    Power Poster

Here is what I figured out. Most adult people want at least a full sized quilt. The kids like the twin and smaller kids like a dragger sized play quilt. I also make quilted purses, organizers, accessories, and kitchen items for a smaller quick get it done projects to give as gifts.
    Old 11-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I like about 60-75 wide by 80-85 long, What I call "couch size" - big enough to cover one entirely if one goes "horizontal" on the couch.

Plus I can wrestle that size through my machine.
    this is the size I make too, for the same reasons!!
    Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 PM

I like to make Queen and Lap size. I have started to make Doll quilts out of the orphan blocks.
    I have not yet donated any yet.
    Mike
    Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 PM

I make a lot of donation quilts through my guilds, but I do get to see the kids who get them pick them out. Why? Because one day a week, I volunteer at an organization that helps children (up to 18 years old) in foster care. The organization lets the kids shop for free for clothes, shoes, school supplies, toiletries and so on. (Most of the clothes, shoes, etc. are donated!)

The kids get to pick a new quilt the first time they come in, and then every 3 years - if they are still in foster care. It really does give more meaning to donating when you can watch a child pick out a quilt, especially if it is the same day that they 'go' into foster care. Plus, while helping them shop, they get some loving attention from whoever is assisting them!

Since the kids are up to 18, I make quilts from baby size to twin size, but always simple patterns. I use simple patterns for three reasons: a) they go together quickly, b) some of the more complex quilts have too many fabrics in them for my color challenged eyes, c) I am somewhat impatient and want a quilt to be done fast.
    Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM
    Power Poster

Wow, got lots of ideas from this!

cathy, that volunteer organization for foster kids sounds wonderful. Is it nationwide? I can't do anything like that right now but, once we move, it would be something I would really enjoy (and perhaps my husband too). Our daughter is adopted and we thought about fostering, but just couldn't do it.
    Old 11-18-2017, 01:18 AM

Lap-size. That’s pretty much all I make. These get USED. I’d rather see my recipients (especially kids!) wrapped up in one of my quilts watching TV or reading a book than to have it on a bed. I want it to become something that brings them comfort. I want it used to death.
    Old 11-18-2017, 04:18 AM

I tend to make a lot of throw or couch-sized quilts, mainly because I get bored with a project and hate making a large number of blocks over and over again. I wish I had the perseverance to make queen-sized quilts as that seems to be the most useful for family and friends.
    Old 11-18-2017, 05:12 AM

I hand quilt and hand sew all things so for quilts is throws and lap quilts only. My very slow going WIP bed quilt is draped over chairs whilst I stitch on it as I can not keep all of it on my lap allthough I did try .