• What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >
  • What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

• What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Only once, and I hated it. Never again!
    Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I like quilts. I have seen some "modern" quilts that were graceful and imaginative, others that were clunky and, IMHO, ugly and / or boring. I dislike most of Kaffe's fabrics.(DH agrees with me on both points, conveniently). Many "ART" quilts leave me cold. Nonetheless, I think everyone should be accepted for their own quilting muse. I know I am opinionated and hard headed. I am well aware that my quilts have many things in common with those of my great grandmother, and things that are quite different, for example, jewel tone batiks. I will continue to do what pleases me. I hope others will find their own voices.
    Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 PM

What is negative space?
    Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 PM
    RST

Negative space is the "white space" --not necessarily white, but it is often a neutral-- the area without design. If you look at a newspaper sales flyer, generally there is very little white space. If you look at a beautifully printed book of poetry, sometimes there will be far more whitespace than print. Using white space indicates that the design work is important and deserves your undivided attention. It takes a lot of nerve to use white space lavishly, but the effect can be very dramatic and graphic.

RST
    Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by RST
    Negative space is the "white space" --not necessarily white, but it is often a neutral-- the area without design. If you look at a newspaper sales flyer, generally there is very little white space. If you look at a beautifully printed book of poetry, sometimes there will be far more whitespace than print. Using white space indicates that the design work is important and deserves your undivided attention. It takes a lot of nerve to use white space lavishly, but the effect can be very dramatic and graphic.

RST
    When my "papa" (grandfather-- died over 40 years ago), ran for office back when, he bought a full page ad and put a few small words in the middle of the page with his name, etc. That's an attention-getter!
    Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 AM

Not a real fan of most modern quilts but remember there are no rules in quilting so you are free to make whatever appeals to you!
    Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 AM

This is a fascinating thread. What a response it has evoked! I am thankful for the modern trend because it is a continuation of a traditional skill set. When I go to an art gallery I love the traditional because I identify with it. When I move on to some of the other "modern" presentations my mind does not always see "art". I sometimes see "engineering". My home is still furnished in traditional maple and I am comfortable with my 'traditional' quilts and wall hangings. They would not look good in my grandson's living space that is black and sleek with straight, clean lines. So, I embraced the modern and made him a quilt that is mostly black and gray with a touch of red and blue. It looks great there. I just want to make quilts and I want them loved and used so I have moved into that concept. It is fun.
    Old 12-15-2013, 04:56 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

A good friend had been trying to drag me into the world of quilting for years, and I kept resisting... until three years ago, when I tagged along on a trip to a real quilt shop (I'd only been in chain stores). Well, those pillowcases were so cute, I thought I'd make one for my nephew. And oh, those rag quilts look pretty simple. I could do one of those. But a real quilt? Not me. No, no, no. I admired the work that went into them, but they didn't "blow my skirt up" either (great line, there, JustABitCrazy). A few days after that trip, I stumbled on the Modern Quilt Guild, and here I am with a vintage Bernina, two FWs, way more fabric than I should and three pieced quilts finished, and other WIPs. I'm not sure if it's the colors, the simpler patterns, or the ability to do my own thing that appeals to me, but I dont' see my self making a true traditional quilt, ever. If traditional were the only option, I wouldn't be quilting today.

As for the skills, yes, I see some that are less than professional, but we all start somewhere. Each quilt I've done has taught me so much, and I hope my skills continue to improve. This last one (my avatar) I designed and boy, did that teach me so much about piecing and assembling! I worked hard to get those seams to match. FMQ appeals to me, but I struggle with it a great deal, but I see that as a challenge.

On an interesting side note, since I've started quilting and looking at more modern designs, I've noticed that my house is looking a bit (OK, a lot) dated, so I've been modernizing there, too. I've been married 35 years, the kids are gone, and I'm reinventing myself. I'm loving colors I used to turn my nose up at (orange?? gray????). I think quilting is a lot like life. Some like to hold onto the past, some like to look for new roads to travel. It's all good.
    Old 12-15-2013, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Have you ever tried straight line quilting in evenly spaced rows about 3/4 inch apart all across the quilt? I've seen it on lots of modern quilts and thought I'd give it a try. It's not as easy as it looks. Hopefully the baby I just made the quilt for won't notice my wavering lines.
    No, it isn't that easy!! And then there is matchstick quilting which is straight line quilting about 1/4 inch apart all across the quilt. I was lucky enough to attend a Jacquie Gering trunk show a few weeks ago and she had a couple that were quilted like that. The texture it gives to a quilt is amazing and the perserverance it requires to do it is mind boggling. And some of her takes on traditional blocks blow my mind - like this one:
    http://jacquietps.files.wordpress.co.../01/cogs12.jpg

I started quilting about 5 years ago and began by making "kid quilts". I think I did it because the traditional colors and patterns just didn't appeal to me. If I hadn't discovered the modern movement in quilts I seriously doubt that I would still be quilting. It isn't that I don't appreciate and admire the skill that goes into traditional quilts but I don't want them for my home and I definitely don't want to make them.
    Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 AM

I'm not fond of modern quilts, I love the traditional styles and patterns. I do like what you are doing, it does look like something a young person would like, rather abstract like abstract art.