Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Are Your Techniques For A Perfect Binding? >
  • What Are Your Techniques For A Perfect Binding?

• What Are Your Techniques For A Perfect Binding?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 PM

My technique for a perfect binding?....I have someone else do them for me! LOL I HATE doing bindings, but will definitely have to try using some of the ideas posted here. Thanks.

Anita
    Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 PM

My favorite part of the quilt it hand-stitching the binding to the back. I've never entered any quilts in a show to be judged, but I think my binding turns out pretty good. I do find that I have fewer problems if I leave the backing and batting un-trimmed until AFTER the binding is attached to the front. There is nothing more frustrating than having folds in my top or bottom fabric or having my backing fabric not flat and smooth. By leaving on the backing fabric and batting, it turns out much better. I've tried using a narrower binding, but a 2-1/2" strip works best for me. I sew it on using between 1/4" and 3/8" seam allowance. When I get close to a corner, I use my seam gauge to mark where I need to stop stitching and sew off towards the corner.
    Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM

I use a 2.25" strip from the bias and curved corners. I hate mitering. But even if I have to miter, I still use bias binding. I find it a lot easier to miter the corners with it (but again, I avoid that if I can).

Last time I used my sister's method of sewing it to the front, folding it to the back and pin it in the ditch on the front, then stitch in the ditch. It worked out really well. I prefer to avoid hand sewing (it would take me forever because I have carpal tunnel syndrome and can only hand sew about 6" or less before I have to stop for a while).
    Old 02-15-2014, 02:01 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    #3. You know when you fold the binding at the corner to make the miter? I believe she means that instead of placing the fold *exactly* on the cut edge of the quilt, you place the fold just a pin's width beyond the cut edge.
    Thank you for the explanation. Long time in getting back to check the QB, have a very bad cold.
    peace
    Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
    My technique for a perfect binding?....I have someone else do them for me! LOL I HATE doing bindings, but will definitely have to try using some of the ideas posted here. Thanks.

Anita
    I have someone else do my bindings, also. I can do them if I hand sew them to the back, but if I machine sew both sides, I can't make it look decent. That's when I take it to my friend to do it. She does fancy stitches on the binding and it really looks nice. I've tried that, but I don't have the touch to machine stitch it no matter how hard I try. And I don't hand sew the binding very often. It takes me a long time to attach the binding by hand. I'd rather be sewing. I know that is probably lazy, but I'm much better at piecing and enjoy it more than hand binding the quilt.