Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's on the back of your quilts? >
  • What's on the back of your quilts?

• What's on the back of your quilts?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 AM

I use fabrics that I bought, but am no longer in love with to piece something on the back.
    Old 11-03-2010, 06:06 AM

I have used purple flannel to go with the purple quilt top for my
    granddaughters graduation gift. It works really well, but use the spray to attach the top to the flannel before quilting it thru. I quilted it on my Brother...worked really well. Good luck.
    Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 AM

I like wide Tone on Tone fabrics for my backings. One reason is if I am purchasing online -- the colors sometiimes are not exactly true. With a Tone on tone it is more likey to be a better choice. When in doubt I purchase white on white or natural on natural prints. ( I must be in doubt alot becasue the majority of my quilts are backed with this type). Occassionally I can find a Wide Batik that will go with a batik quilt. I like using wide backings .. if you turn the quilt over it almost looks like a whole cloth quilt.
    I never use a solid as the slightest imperfections in quilting will be apparent.
    Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 AM

I use whatever I have that coordinates....except muslin. I find muslin to be soooo boring. No offense to anyone, but there you go.
    Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 AM

I use muslin. I hand quilt and have found that muslin is easy to needle. Since I spend all the time hand quilting I don't want my stitching hid in a busy printed fabric.
    Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 AM

I like to coordinate with the front as far as color & usually use flannel.I had made my daughter a quilt for her dorm & the next year she needed a different one for her sorority house to coordinate with her roomates. I told her if she just needed a solid one we could buy one & said she didn't want to buy one because it wouldn't have a flannel back!!....so I made her another one.
    Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 AM

I try to use something that goes with the top. And I always use a good fabric that I find on sale.
    Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 AM

I try to color coordinate. But, like for DD#1's black white and red quilt, that just meant using white instead of natural backing. :lol:

I've got the fairy one on the frame right now, and the back is a floral that compliments but does not match the front.
    Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 AM

It depends on the quilt. However, I am frugal so take advantage of good buys. A widower in my neighborhood had a garage sale with tons of 100% cotton on bolts for sale. His wife had been a custom men's shirt maker and he was selling the bolts (full and Partial) ridiculously cheap. I got 62" and 54" wide partial bolts. Cream, white stripe on white, white, dark green plaid, red and white stripe and blue and white stripe. After I measured out fabric into 5 yard pieces getting ready to wash each it averged out to FIVE CENTS a yard. It washed beautifully. So I have lots of backing and will incorporate some of the front of each quilt with these nice cottons.
    Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 AM

On my art quilts aka "wall hangings" I use muslin because I am the only one that sees that back, buttt on my bed quilts I use one of the fabrics from the front or at least coordinates with the front. I remember someone somewhere maybe alex anderson saying to not use sheets, cant remember her reasoning