Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the best type of sewing machine to get for quilting? >
  • What's the best type of sewing machine to get for quilting?

• What's the best type of sewing machine to get for quilting?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 PM

I am fairly new to all of this but bought a Singer computerized at Sams Club back in 05. Just got it out of the box in 2010. Just love it and not a big fancy machine but it has 120 stitches and bought it on sale for $300. It even came with the table that goes around it, if u know what I mean. Just try them and b sure.
    Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
    Old 08-06-2011, 10:32 PM

First check your budget.

Yes, there are a lot of machines out there. Sample them all by going for a test sew at LQS's. Find which brand you bond with the most and has the largest throat area for your quilting.

If your budget is a bit tight, know that many quilters trade up and you can find great used machines if you look.

Also, if you are going to be taking this on retreats, sew-ins, or classes, you might opt for a machine that is easy for you to transport.

I have a Pfaff Creative Vision but that stays put at home. No traveling for that machine! It cost too much. I had tried a Baby Lock machine that also embroidered but it was no thanks to that machine ... waaayyy to heavy to even lift. No traveling for that machine! I have a Pfaff 2046 and a Featherweight. I take one of these for anything not at home. If I take a class and want to use my CV then I only do a small sampler for class and then a quilt at home.

I also use only one machine for each project. Whatever machine I start on ... that is the one I finish on. Seam allowances aren't the same with different machines [or rulers.]

Good luck with your choice.

ali
    Old 08-06-2011, 10:51 PM

I also use only one machine for each project. Whatever machine I start on ... that is the one I finish on. Seam allowances aren't the same with different machines [or rulers.]
    Very Good advice...that's why mine never make it to be serviced...:(
    Kirsten
    Old 08-07-2011, 02:44 AM
    Power Poster

the best machine for quilting is the one that works well for you with a good even stitch. you do not need something fancy or expensive to quilt beautiful quilts- you only need a machine in good repair-which stitches a nice even straight stitch---and lots of practice
    Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by cawsings
    I bought my first "real" machine in April (before that I had an inexpensive machine that gave me fits). I say real because I spent nearly $400 for it after researching a ton. I went with the Janome DC2010. I actually decided on the brand first and emailed a "local" (45 min away) shop regarding a certain model. The shop owner sent me an email back and explained that she felt that there was a better option (the DC2010) for me in the same price range. The fact that she emailed me back quickly made me know that I was making the right decision. However, I knew it was a great deal when she mentioned that she offers free classes on how to use the machine for life. She was starting up the classes again soon after I bought my machine and we are almost finished with the course.

I had NO sewing experience before taking these classes...everything I had done was just by using my old machine (which wasn't much). I cannot tell you how much I have learned since taking the classes. I never would have thought that I could do so much.

So, I don't know anything about the machine that you list (though it looks like it has good reviews) but I would definitely shop around and see if you can get one that comes with free (or inexpensive) lessons from a local quilt shop.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
    I thought this was a great answer, In fact its exactly what we do with our Bernina's Free lesson's for life, and really great trade in deals! Check your local dealers see what they will do for you not just the price! Best of luck in your search!