Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)? >
  • What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)?

• What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM

I once made a quilt I've called my "free quilt" since I made it from sm. scraps that I used to just toss into the wastebasket. I used a PP pattern using sm. pcs. in strips that made 4" squares. Put 4 together into blocks. I sashed & backed it with fabrics I found in my stash that were very old. That turned out to be a fav. quilt.
    Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM
    Power Poster

I recently finished a king size family reunion quilt for the July 4th reunion. Family members send me fabric in a designated color, this year dark blue. Years ago at a family reunion, an uncle was attending who had never met all of us. To help identify who belonged to whom, my SIL came up with picking a family color - like red, black, blue, etc. My sister's color was dark blue and the quilt was made in her memory as she had passed away a couple of months after the last reunion 2 years ago. So, all the blue fabric was given to me - no cost, my niece sent me a batting - no cost, the backing fabric had been given to me - again no cost. The white background fabric I did pull from my stash, but from fabric designated as fabric to be used only in family reunion quilts. So, except for pulling the white background fabric from my stash, there was no actual cash spent on the quilt, except for mailing it to NE for the reunion. What do you think, does this qualify as a $0.00 spent quilt?
    Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Didn't cost me a dime. All from scraps

My Sun Bonnet Sue Quilt
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-237005.jpe  
    Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 PM

I just bought some red, white and blue prints at garage sale for 30.00 and using QOV pattern made a quilt for my son in law who is being depolyed in October. Have a lot let over.
    Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Hey ptquilts, My grandmother did reuse the thread she ripped out.. My mother saved it but did not use but she did offer it to me because she had so much ...
    Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM

usually the price of batting, 6.95, unless I find a roll at a garage sale costing 50 cents or 1 dollar.
    Old 08-05-2011, 03:34 PM

yes.
    Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
    The least amount I've spent is zero. I made it out of scraps, leftover batting and thread (Poly thread given to me by my Mom c1983). Even the back was leftover flannel from another quilt. It was part of a challenge one summer at the Scrapbusters list to use something that didn't require any purchasing, but I went further to use up stuff that would be considered recycled. I tied it using wool leftover from tying another quilt. It was a mystery quilt and some of my choices of fabric didn't bring the design out that well. This was a lap sized quilt.

[IMG]http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../377419023.jpg[/IMG]
    You did a great job. This is what quilting was once about.
    Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM

I've made a couple for $00.00!!! Well, I guess I did have to pay for the electric to run my machines, but.....a box of thread was given to me by a friend of my son who buys storage units at auction, a roll of batting was given to me by a friend who wanted it "out of his way", and a bunch of fabric was given to me when the wife of a co-worker turned her sewing room into a game room for the grandchildren.

I can't ask for any better than that!!!
    Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM

I've made some inexpensive tops from Walmart's clearance fabrics. I have a lap quilt that I spent about $25 on total (splurged on the backing at $4/yard!). And I am working on a queen size quilt that I have about $10 into the top, I will back it with muslin, so once I buy muslin and batting I will have $30 or so into it.