Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)? >
  • What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)?

• What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 PM

50c for one and $1 for another I had the batting left over and a queen size flannel sheet which was enough for both. Sometimes I like to buy new but mostly get from family(clothes)and thrift shops and now at this time of year yard sales.
    Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    I recently finished a king size family reunion quilt for the July 4th reunion. Family members send me fabric in a designated color, this year dark blue. Years ago at a family reunion, an uncle was attending who had never met all of us. To help identify who belonged to whom, my SIL came up with picking a family color - like red, black, blue, etc. My sister's color was dark blue and the quilt was made in her memory as she had passed away a couple of months after the last reunion 2 years ago. So, all the blue fabric was given to me - no cost, my niece sent me a batting - no cost, the backing fabric had been given to me - again no cost. The white background fabric I did pull from my stash, but from fabric designated as fabric to be used only in family reunion quilts. So, except for pulling the white background fabric from my stash, there was no actual cash spent on the quilt, except for mailing it to NE for the reunion. What do you think, does this qualify as a $0.00 spent quilt?
    That is great! It's pretty close to $0.00. :)
    Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by CactusFlower
    My mother saved it but did not use but she did offer it to me because she had so much ...
    That is too funny!
    Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    I've made a couple for $00.00!!! Well, I guess I did have to pay for the electric to run my machines, but.....a box of thread was given to me by a friend of my son who buys storage units at auction, a roll of batting was given to me by a friend who wanted it "out of his way", and a bunch of fabric was given to me when the wife of a co-worker turned her sewing room into a game room for the grandchildren.

I can't ask for any better than that!!!
    You did great, and yes, I was not counting the cost of the electricity to run the machines. I don't know how to figure that out since each quilt is different. I suppose someone who uses a treadle has an advantage over the rest of us here.
    Old 08-06-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    We've often talked about the high cost of quilting.

So what's the least $ you've spent on a quilt--lap quilt or larger size?

Has anyone ever spent nothing on making one--by that I mean, ever had the fabric given to you or cut up old clothes and used an old wool blanket (or a castoff blanket, non wool) for the batting--and recycled for the backin
    We often bemoan the high cost of our hobby. I'd love to hear some creative ways you've NOT spent a lot on a quilt. (And pulling it out of your stash doesn't count, unless when you put it in there, you got the fabric for free.)

For example, maybe you bought fabric at $1/yard (yard sale) and were given the batting and backing, so you managed to make it for say, $8 plus thread.

I have received a lot of my fabrics from, freecycle, AZ helping AZ, yard sales and quilt angels donations. I have used sheets, flannel blankets and yards of free not so beautiful fabric for backing and have even received received a hugh box full of threads of discintinued colors or color names. I have actually made several quilts for $0.00 this way.
    Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin

You did great, and yes, I was not counting the cost of the electricity to run the machines. I don't know how to figure that out since each quilt is different. I suppose someone who uses a treadle has an advantage over the rest of us here.
    I suppose that all depends on how many snacks it takes to keep the feet moving....
    Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 AM

The rag quilt I am making is only a cost of 3.50, that includes the denim for backing and the fabric for the front and thread is free.
    Old 08-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I actually recycle thread by taking old clothes apart, carefully, from one side of the seam and you can save the long piece of thread on the other side, wind it on a spool to reuse.

HAH - had you going there for a bit didn't I??!!

DH would do this, he is WAY cheaper than me...
    I was buying your story..... and thinking you had WAY too much time!!! LOL
    Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM

My very first quilt cost me nothing but time. I raided my mother's stash [in a cedar] trunk where she put material left over from making us children clothes. I hate waste ,and the small portions were to small to make scarves. The middle was a chenille blanket given to the family in bags of clothes, and I used a sheet also from the bag for the back. She showed me how to finish it with ties. That was over thirty years ago. My one day quilt,[for a twin bed] which I did when I was restless and needed something to do was made frome those horrible 100% polyester blankets as batting. [I use them new when I can't find something suitable at a thrift store.] A beautiful printed sheet as the top, [uncut much like a whole cloth] and a queen plain sheet . That's where I learned to fold the backing forward anduse it to bind the whole quilt. Family interested to ppreserve a piece of their favorite old comforters or sheet sets will donate them towards a new quilt. I recycle everything I can.
    Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 AM

I am an overspender, probably. I like quality materials when I can get them and LOVE sewing "tools". I have learned over the years that quality materials are justified when you think of all the hours and work we put into some projects. However, I love the quilting tradition of making something out of things that would be thrown away. That is our history. I also love to make various projects out of recycled jeans. I have LQS fabrics and Walmart and TG&Y... Remember them, ladies??? I have used sheets for backing, muslin, and sometimes the wonderful choices they now have at the LQS. With quilting, you have a wonderful choice. You can pursue and perfect one technique or two.. OR you have have a lifetime of variety.