Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the matter? >
  • What's the matter?

• What's the matter?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 AM

Re thread top & bottom, then check your top tension. if not the problem try changing the bobbin tension.
    What kind of thread are you using. change to see if that helps
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 AM

i had a problem close to that my bobbin thread kept breaking finaly took everything apart found out my bobbin was wound to tight and was not feeding
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Why is this happening? I've tried re-threading my needle and my bobbin. I need help!!
    Those loops are on the bottom of the fabric, your top tension is too loose. Re thread the machine making sure you have got the thread properly seated on the tension discs. If your discs are hidden inside the machine expose them and take a piece of folded muslin and run them through the discs. Sometimes the smallest amount of lint or thread will throw the discs out so that the tension is not properly regulated. Check to see if the needle is inserted the correct way and that you are threading it from the proper direction. IF and only if none of these work try loosening the bottom tension. Good luck, and let us know how it works out. :D
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 AM

I bought new thread (3 actually). I'm going to give a new one a try. Should I put the bobbin away with the old spool and re-thread a new bobbin? Or is the old one ok? I wasn't having any problems with the top just the bottom.
    Use the same weight thread in both bobbin and top thread. Just another thought, old thread sometimes frays, and poor quality thread often has a roughness to it that causes problems. :-)
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 AM

Make sure your needle is in the correct way.
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 AM

Have you changed your needle? Mine was doing the same thing and I did everything that I knew to do and it still did it, so I got my manuel out and it was my needle, I had the wrong size needle in my machine, never knew that it took a special needle, so check your needle size, maybe thats it. Who would ever think about a special size needle. LOL Hope you get it fixed. Have a great day.
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 AM

first and foremost--> CHANGE THE NEEDLE!! My machine man tells me this will solve 80% of the problems.
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
    Just letting you know it could be something in the manufacturing and not you or the machine. Mary
    That's what I'm wondering too. I'm going to get a few more white spools and change this one out. Then I'll see how it goes.
    Also a good machine cleaning, new thread and new bobbin. Try everything, sometimes lint gets caught and causes problems. I use an artists paint brush to clean inside the bobbin area and wherever I can reach with the brush. Surprised how much lint get built up in that little area. Good luck.
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Sometimes I use a mesh thread holder over the spool and that really helps with curly thread. Also to use the thread on a stand I have been known to use a heavy metal washer on top of spool. those are two things I have had to do to use the thread when it was just to curly. I think it got wound so tight that it just couldn't relax, but with a little tension on the thread it comes off straight.

Good Luck

Suzy
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 AM
    Power Poster

Be sure your bobbin thread is threaded from the bobbin correctly. Some self winding bobbins thread right to left and some left to right. Most bobbin cases need to have the bobbin unwinding counterclock wise inside the case. I about went nuts trying to figure out why my bobbin thread was looking like a solid piece of thread after sewing. My bobbin was in the bobbin case unwinding in the wrong direction and kept slipping out of the thread slot in the case.