Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the matter? >
  • What's the matter?

• What's the matter?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Make sure you're using the right size bobbins! If you are, then compare them to each other. I found some are not exactly what they're supposed to be and had the same problem as you. If the bobbin "wobbles" in the case, then it's changed sizes. This was brought up before and someone said if you wind the bobbin at full speed, the plastic bobbins heat up and their sizes change.....Good luck!
    Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    If the bad stitching is on the top, the problem is with your bobbin. If the problem is on the bottom, the problem is with the top thread. Either way, rethread very carefully, and clean out the bobbin case well and rethread that carefully and see if those help. Also, you might try changing thread spools if the problem is on the top and you are getting down toward the end of the spool. If the problem is the bobbin thread, check and make sure the bobbin thread still looks evenly wound. If it is towards the end of the bobbin, I would go ahead and put a new bobbin in. Good luck, and let us know what worked.
    my words exactly !!!
    Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM

I would throw out that spool of thread, I heard some companies actually wind there thread damp that would account for tight wind and the curls you speak of. Hope new thread helps. I also found one time a clump of lint, sort of hidden under the feed dogs. Hope you find the answer , usually a hard problem is a combination of things that are causing it.
    Rita ( Keolika)
    Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Is your presser foot up when you're threading the machine? It makes a big difference.
    Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Only skimmed through replies. DEFINITELY change the needle.

Did anyone mentioning reversing the spool of thread? If it lays down horizontally in the machine flip it end to end. If it stands up, flip it top to bottom. The direction the spool is wound makes a difference, especially when they lay horizontally.

Peggy in beautiful, sunny Florida
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM

all of the above are very true...especially the needle if it has been long used....i find the worst reason is the cheap 2 or 3 spools you can get for $1 at the dollar stores....i know its expensive but buy the GOOD brands...you'll have less problems and frustrations :roll:
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM

In our mother's time, thread was thread. It was all the same.
    Nowadays, there are several weights of thread, and it's made of all kinds of combinations of things. So you have to treat each spool of thread as if you are starting new.
    Make sure your pressor foot is up when you thread, otherwise the thread may not go into the tension assembly properly.
    Adjust the top tension, in small increments until it's right.
    If you can't get good stitches by adjusting the top tension, you then try adjusting the bottom tension - just make sure you use tiny adjustments - don't go more that 1/12 th of a turn at a time. (like 5 min on a clock)
    Often the problem is using different threads in the top and the bottom. Try using the same brand and weight on both.
    Experiment!
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:26 AM

I've had problems with breaking and it gets very frustrating. I found that the spool and bobbin thread have to be the same. Or near close. I have been using up thread that was my Aunt and Mother's after they passed away. Not all the spools are the same weight. The machines get fussy at times. Also, the needle and weight of material makes a difference. I remember using my mother's Singer she won at the Chicago World's Fair in 1936 and it wasn't nearly as fussy as the new ones.
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM
    PEP

Be sure your needle size, thread and fabric are compatible.
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 PM

I had the exact same problem with my sewing. Ended up being a re threading issue. I was so sure I had threaded correctly but seems I was wrong as after about the umpteenth time of threading I suddenly got it right.