Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >
  • What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

• What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 AM

A cover for my husband's weight set which sits on the deck, at least I think the weight set's still there, the cover's never been taken off.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM

The most unusual thing I ever made was for a dear friend who had a stillborn baby. Her husband made the casket and she asked me to line it. I made it very "puffy" with lots of quilt batting, white satin and loads of lace. It was the hardest thing I have ever done for a friend but she appreciated it so much. Lots of tears went into that tiny casket.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 AM

A yellow rain slicker for my daughter's huge black Newfoundland--and he wouldn't go out in the rain without it! Also Xmas stockings for her horses--shaped like horse's lower leg Used brown fake fur and brown plastic for the hooves.
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Neicy
    A yellow rain slicker for my daughter's huge black Newfoundland--and he wouldn't go out in the rain without it! Also Xmas stockings for her horses--shaped like horse's lower leg Used brown fake fur and brown plastic for the hooves.
    What a minute!!! I thought Newfies loved water!!?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Those furbabies sure have us wrapped right around their little (or big!!) "fingers" (aka paws)!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by dinlauren
    A "hooter" hider.........nursing mom cover up for a co-worker.
    LOVE IT!!!!!
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother
    I made a Chinese dragon, one that was about 15 feet or so long, mounted on hoops and poles so that the kids could walk around with it and make it rhythmically swoop up and down. Lots and lots of scales. It turned out really well and I kept it!
    What was the occasion please?
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by suecq
    Sprinkler covers for baby boy's when changing. I made them for a baby shower. The fun was people trying to guess what they were. lol
    Never saw one. Wish I had. Child was a gyser :) could you explain the sprinkler cover? Wish my friend Helen was alive to read this:) she would have appreciated it -- 2 sons!
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ljorange
    Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I made a strap to go over my camera strap, that has pockets for my cards, mobile phone and keys etc. and also bags for my mini irons. Is that unusual enough?
    What a great idea (camera strap), I'll have to keep that one in mind.
    Really smart. I need one, too.
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM

I had a small pup who liked to burrow so I made a baby carrier size of a back pack and she loved to lay in the bottom of the bag. The pattern had a privacy flap for nursing which covered the bag. On hot days I could run into a store so I did not have to leave her in the car. Once I went into a fabric store to quickly get a panel of quilted baby fabric and when I asked where they kept the baby fabric, pup popped her head out of the sack because Baby was her name. The clerk looked at her, then me and did not say anything about the dog. I think she thought "strange lady thinks this dog is a baby--mentally I'll:)". This was years before people carried dogs in bags as they do now. Otherwise no one ever knew she was in there and I could run into a store without leaving her in a hot car. Never leave a dog in a car in the warm days because the temp is too hot for them.
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM

My Mom just made a cotton "cap" with a soft bill for my niece's husband, who is a welder. He needs to have a soft cap under his welding mask....turned out great, and a lot cheaper than the caps he was buying (she sews it for free, and used her stash - only cost was the postage to ship it to Chattanooga, TN from Wisconsin). She's 83, and still "sewing strong" :-) GO MOM!