• Main
  • What's next? >
  • What's next?

• What's next?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplemem
    I'm finding this really helpful also.

I'm still working on "Roses for Mama" after finishing Dad's "Music of Love" quilt. I'll be finished this month with Mama's. Next is one for my dh and myself, I have more than half the blocks finished for that one.

I have a baby quilt due in May, then the rest are Christmas presents for '09. So far, I'm on schedule. Thanks for the thread. It helps keep me on track. :lol:
    Purplemem, after seeing your Dad's quilt, I can' wait to see your mom's. Yes, I think it's about time we all made one for ourselves. We work hard at this. I think having my own quilt to look at every day will inspire me to get to my daughters and Sil's, after grandbabies of course.
    i have a couple baby dresses that I really want to finish sometime soon. They were started for older sister and now will go to baby sister. That's ok, older sister has had many things made for her.
    I have some Christmas things I need to get done too. All in good time, thanks for the reply purplemem, it spurs me on. :D
    Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Well, the baby of the house (almost 5) has been sick since last week...so I haven't been able to work much on the D9P's as I want them to be a surprise. So.....today while his highness was sleeping I cut out all but 2 sets of the strips for the 3 quilts. I have the side and center strip sets for the 9 patches cut out, now I'm working on 2 of the three focus fabrics. One of them, I'm trying with cutting the length of fabric instead of the width....darn stripes. The other two, the print doesn't matter which way you go. But, I didn't want to give the surprise away. I'll work on them some more this week.

I did get the label for Gramma's quilt ready. I've color catched the thing to where it's not going to bleed anymore. Now I really need to get the letters printed out and sent with the quilt!

M
    Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
    Power Poster

melissa, sorry your little one has been sick, but you sure do make good use of little pieces of time. It seems like I use to be better at doing that, but then, being younger I felt like it more. I look back and I did a lot of sewing for my kids. Are these D9P's for your kids? sounds like, with the Cars fabric.
    I know what you mean about the satin. i have some very silky-like material for a dress. Only reason I was brave or dumb, we'll see...enough to get it, was bc of my new machine. When I tried out the Janome at the store, I sewed on satins, cottons, denims, you name it, all without changing thread, needle or anything. I was so impressed. When I get around to doing the dress, I will use stabilizer and hope it goes alright. My machine has a gauge to adjust to weight of fabric. I have a pretty embroidered fabric for the jacket that goes over it. Makes me want to go cut it out, now, but I still have some of the tulip/rose quilt waiting. I cut for several hours earlier. I had to re-measure some of it, and trim just a tad, but better right the first time, right?
    I can't wait to finish this quilt. My daughter is going to be so surprised at how nice, (I hope), this is going to turn out. It looks a like the one in the book is how I know...but she was there, when I bought fabric and boy, did she think it was bright. I love it. Purples, lavenders, pinks, lime and spring greens, and a light yellow. scrumptious! :D
    Old 03-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Yes, these are for my kids. The biggest boy still at home is 7 almost 8. He's finally outgrown all his toddler quilts. He has autism and LOVES Thomas the train. There is no train as good as Thomas. So, his is Thomas, with a solid red and solid yellow to go with it. My 6 year old will be 7 soon and seems to be growing just as fast. He's not as tall as the older one, but I know he will be soon. His is Lightening McQueen with black and white check fabric and the same yellow for the center squares. The baby can't just go without a quilt if his brothers are also getting one. His is the same yellow as the other two, and the same red as the big one's. His focus fabric is Curious George with fire stuff, hydrants, fire trucks, flames, fire helmet etc. I hoped to have them done by Easter, but his sick time and the decision to make them when they weren't here or were asleep, has slowed me down a great deal. Now I'm shooting for graduation time when I'll have one going into 3rd, one into 2nd and the youngest into Kindergarten...sounds like a good rite of passage time to me!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
    Power Poster

sounds like a better timetable to me too. wow, what a loving mom you are. they sound sweet. I know, they're boys, but I had a bunch of brothers. Three younger than me, and I had a ball with them. I was a mini mom type. well, hoping we both get a lot done this week, if not a lot, hope what we do turns out well! :D
    Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 PM
    Power Poster

i'm back. Been waiting on a surge protector that is being replaced. I may have to call them back, or ups. Haven't seen any notices. anyway, had to bring mine from sewing room in here for pc. I could take it back and forth, but too much monkey business, and I just been using my time to cut fabrics.
    I am almost ready to get going on roses and tulips quilt.
    One really great thing i have been doing, that is helping me a lot, is, I have about 3 or 4 kitchen timers, for the holidays. Took one in sewing room and you'd be surprised how fast you'll get back in there, if you are on a timer. I don't get sidetracked as much, when I have to go out, and it really gives me a mental lift, every time I have to reset it for another hour. happy creating, everybody :D
    Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 PM

What a great idea. Will have to keep track of that one in my someday sewing room. At the moment, my sewing room is my dining room when I can haul everything out.

Finally got all children healthy and rashfree (don't ask)....so after 2 full school weeks of a sick child, one school hoilday, and one child with a rash for one school day I finally got all the little buggers OUT of the house. Had a chance to work on them yesterday....but not today. RRRGGG....will start again on Monday when they go back. I only had an hour to work yesterday, but I got a lot of progress done in one hour. On two of the days that the 4 year old was sick, I got all the strips cut one day and all the coordinating strips sewn together the second day. Didn't pull ANY focus fabrics out until yesterday when they were not here. Happy with the progress...just wish life wouldn't get in the way sometimes.

ADDITION TO MY 2009 LIST: have been wanting to finish the quilt I've had in the floor frame forever. Having issues with the floor frame (it's bigger than my room) so I pulled it out of the frame only to find out someone (person who "helped" put the quilt in the frame) hacked off 18 precious inches of my backing. SO....hoping to have the backing pieced and quilting done by the end of this year. Anniversary gift to my aunt for her 30th to my uncle which will be next year.
    Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
    Power Poster

omgoodness, melissa, did your quilting frame cut into your fabric?
    I thought for a while that I wanted a frame, but we live in a small house. I decided instead to do the machine quilting in sections. I know I can't physically do a whole bed quilt all at once, on a machine, and I want my stitches to blend into my backings as much as possible.
    Good to hear that your kids are getting better, and mom is getting a little time to herself. I look back and don't know how I made all those clothes and curtains, etc. when I had three kids home, but a lot of it, was when they were bigger than yours. got to get to bed, but I'm going to keep using my timer and see what I can get done this week. :D
    Old 03-20-2009, 08:01 PM

Nope...the frame didn't cut my backing off. I had a quilting friend of mine swear up and down I had way too much fabric on there and she hacked it all off. I thought she was right up until I pulled it out of the frame and about had a heart attack.

I cried, literally, when I looked at it. It'll be okay though....I've got some of the same fabric coming to me from a different friend. They still belong to my quilt club down in OK, so the roll of fabric is still there. I'm just adding another seam and I'm going to keep going!
    Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 AM
    Power Poster

I don't blame you for your reaction. I am a very forgiving person, but there are some things that can hurt me deeply...yeah, guess I am the sensitive type, artiste'...but most of the time, I need some closure on things.
    Somebody deliberately cutting one of my projects, just bc they thought it was wrong...I don't know what I would do, but sooner or later I would have to acknowledge it or it would eat me up.
    This is why nobody can go in my sewing room without me. Too much money and too much sentimentality in there. Besides, I might be working on a surprise, or just don't want something seen before it's finished. Sorry to be so opinionated on your situation, I just feel for you. If it were me, I'd at least have to let her see me get the fabric, or see the finished quilt, so the opportunity to feel guilty was there. I believe we should feel guilty when we have wronged someone. It's character building. Glad your were able to salvage what was left.
    I've had ppl convince me of things too, and then later found out, I was right all along, so I really believe in gut feelings now. I tell hubby sometimes, "If I end up being wrong - let me. I have that right." He doesn't argue after that. hugs, C