Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's sad about being a quilter... >
  • What's sad about being a quilter...

• What's sad about being a quilter...

Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 AM

People in my family give me their cast off machines. No one sews unless it is a button on a shirt. Make me a quilt, I will never see the day but making quilts for other people gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I love it. And I rescued a home made quilt at Goodwill for $2.99 and it is exactly what I wanted. Hmmm, devine intervention?
    Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 AM

I can make a quilt for myself...I appreciate getting something from someone that I myself cannot, would not, could not make or do......One year rec'd from my (now ex) son-in-law a coffe table that he made......I cried because I realized how much work went into it and he took the time out of his busy life to make it for me.....that was and still is a very special thing in my life......have afghans, hand embroidered tableclothes and crocheted doilies made my grandma, aunt, mom that are near and dear to me. My concern with all of these "treasures" is where will they end up when I am gone...probably the nearest Second Hand Store........not one of the younger generations in this family are interested in heirlooms of sorts........think it is all clutter........
    Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 AM

The sad part is that I still have to work 40 hours / week and don't have enough time to quilt. No one has ever made a quilt for me, but when I visited Lancaster, PA many years ago, I purchased two lap sized Amish made quilts that I cherish and display in my house. It is inspiration for me since both were hand quilted beautifully.
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 AM

At the end of the term for our guild president she is given a quilt top. The Secretary is in charge of getting a group together or hand out blocks for members to make, then she sets them. It is a nice thank you for the work she did for the guild that year.
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 AM

I am a lucky one my mother made two for me, and love them , she is not able to do any sewing any more,
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 AM

REHAB, YES!! I just returned from 4 days of rehab........a quilt retreat with 5 dear friends....for 4 days. We do this twice each year and it is the best rehab in the world. Two of them drive about 400 miles (one way) to get there.
    I think this is the best rehab possible!!!
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:16 AM

Last week for 5 days we went to a quilt retreat - does that count?
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    ohh so true!!!!
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 AM

My Mother is the only one who made me quilts. She passed away in January and I am so blessed to have several of her quilts that she hand pieced and hand quilted just for me.
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 AM

I was very lucky to have 2 wonderful grandmothers. They both did so much for others, family and strangers alike. One made a quilt for every person in the family (35+people as a rough estimate) When I finished my first quilt at the young age of 22...after I rolled around in it for a few minutes...I gave it to my grandmother. She cried and expressed this very sentiment. No one had ever given her a quilt before. So yes, it is sad. BUT we are different than most crafters/artists. I don't know of any other medium that people spend so much time and creativity to make and then give it away. We are special people. I like that about us.