Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's so great about BOM??? >
  • What's so great about BOM???

• What's so great about BOM???

Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    My local LQS runs a BOM called the $20 quilt. You go each month at a preset time, get an update and demo on what's new in the shop, have a mini show and tell, see the new BOM pattern, drink tea and pick out your free fat quarter. By the time the year is over, you have 12 completed blocks, 12 fat quarters, learned several new techniques and viewed all the new merchandise, visited with your quilt buddies and have the instructions to complete your quilt - all for $20! I love BOM expecially the way my LQS ladies run it.
    That sounds like a fun and interesting way to do BOM...I have never heard of a LQS in my area doing that.
    Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 AM

It really just depends on the BOM that you do. I have done one that was $2 a month and there are some that you can do online for free... and then there are some that are more costly. I have done them both ways. it's a good way to get used to different techniques and different blocks. Plus it gives you a dead line to have each block finished.
    Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 AM

I do a block of the month; actually I'm now doing my 3rd one in the past two years; with these we actually meet each month; all of them are w/the same teacher but two of them I enjoy the most because they come w/lecture. All three are doing civil war quilts w/reproduction fabric. First we go over the next block and she makes sure we know how to do them and if there are any special tricks to them Then she does the lecture which is like a history class on that time frame. I've met some of the nicest people there. I don't know about doing on online or just buying them from a store without actually having a "class" but the oned I'm doing; I love.
    Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM

I'm doing the House BOM from the board, as a learning experience to try different block styles and techniques. Trying to incorporate as many techniques as possible into it, with only a small deliverable each month. They don't have to be expensive ones (although I've seen some nice ones in the LQS but I'm not into re-creating something someone else has already done that closely).
    Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 AM

I learned how to quilt with a BOM kit. It taught me a great variety of skills.
    Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 AM

Not all BOM are through a LQS. I currently am doing a BOM with an on-line quilt magazine (http://quiltpatternmagazine.com/). We started in January and were given approimate amounts of fabric in 5 different colors of our choosing. I have attempted to attach a copy of mine so far.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-229181.jpe   attachment-229182.jpe   attachment-229183.jpe   attachment-229184.jpe   attachment-229185.jpe  

attachment-229186.jpe   attachment-229187.jpe  
    Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 AM

The main reasons I join BOM clubs is that learn so much in those short 90 minutes classes every month. Everyone is so willing to share their knowledge. We even have show & tell,so I love it. I also love the idea that there are so many choices and when there are 16 blocks then you just do the extra ones that certain month at home. I love the BOM's!!!
    Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 AM

Wow, that's a deal. I'd do it too if it were available here.
    Old 07-20-2011, 04:25 AM

I'm working on the Designer mystery block of the month from the Fat Quarter shop. I'm a new quilter, so I thought small bites of new blocks would challenge me and get me to try new designers I'm not aware of yet.
    Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 AM

I think it is a monthly payment that goes to the selling store. If you would get enough of those it would pay a few bills.