Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's wrong with my iron? >
  • What's wrong with my iron?

• What's wrong with my iron?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 AM

I only use distilled, spring, drinking (whatever is cheapest that day) in my iron. Our tap water here is aweful, we have to unscrew the water saver screen on the kitchen faucet every night and empty that days rust collection from it, the tap water kills my houseplants, ruins our clothes if I don't put white vinegar (1 cup per load) in the washer with the detergent, and I ruined 2 irons before I figured out why. Dollar General has gallons of water for 75 cents. In the long run its cheaper than buying new irons every couple of months. We buy water for our own consumption, so I figure another couple of bucks a month for the iron and houseplants won't make me or break me.
    Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 AM

I use distilled water in my iron and have no trouble. A gallon for $1 or
    less will last quite awhile. :-)
    Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Also, if you lay your iron down before it's hot and ready to work it'll start spitting at you and all sorts of gunk can come out. I've got to go do that self clean bit on my iron. It maybe self clean but it needs encouragement from the human using it.
    Old 12-05-2007, 02:30 PM

One more, use extra milk cartons with the top cut off to collect rain water . That should be good for your iron and its free Its suppposed to be good for your hair also. :D
    Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
    I only use distilled, spring, drinking (whatever is cheapest that day) in my iron. Our tap water here is aweful, we have to unscrew the water saver screen on the kitchen faucet every night and empty that days rust collection from it, the tap water kills my houseplants, ruins our clothes if I don't put white vinegar (1 cup per load) in the washer with the detergent, and I ruined 2 irons before I figured out why. Dollar General has gallons of water for 75 cents. In the long run its cheaper than buying new irons every couple of months. We buy water for our own consumption, so I figure another couple of bucks a month for the iron and houseplants won't make me or break me.
    thanks for the tip about Dollar General and the vinegar in the wash. i have so much iron it spots the white clothes. I sometimes use iron out but it's hard on the clothes and expensive.
    Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 AM

My old iron did this too and stained my white fabric. It was from the buildup in the iron. My new iron will drip water if I use it on the steam setting before I have let it heat up, but I try to always leave my iron dry and this has helped prevent the build-up. I also use distilled water or at least filtered water. I fill my iron from my Brita pitcher.