Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's in your batik stash? >
  • What's in your batik stash?

• What's in your batik stash?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM

I like batiks for the colors and watercolor effects. I just posted a quilt photo that's in progress on a post here a couple days ago. I'm waiting to get the LAQ done & I'll repost.
    Most of the fabrics were the outcome of participating in the 'sensational strippers exchange' that was held on www.thequiltshow.com -- I likely received some of 100 strips from int'l locations! It was exciting to find out what I'd receive after sending in my 100 strips. Basically ended up with 200 strips for use in this quilt.
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Someone asked for batik stash pics - this is about 1/2 of my stash. I sell my extra batik (most of the quilting board knows this and are on my "list"). I keep the ones I love, love, love. I lived in Bali and go back every year to stock up. I get them from the factories that produce Island, Hoffman, Princess Mirah, Kaufman and most of the "good" brands - none of the crappy stuff.
    I piece almost exclusively with batiks, although there were pictures posted yesterday by hcarpanini, of a Civil War quilt I pieced and she quilted. But, 95% of my quilts are done with batiks. I know quite a bit about them, have helped several quilt board members with questions about batiks and would welcome any other questions anyone may have. I'll help if I can!
    Here are the pics of half of my stash (the other half plus is in crates and several 6 foot tall cabinets.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-203006.jpe   attachment-203007.jpe   attachment-203008.jpe  
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Someone asked for batik stash pics - this is about 1/2 of my stash. I sell my extra batik (most of the quilting board knows this and are on my "list"). I keep the ones I love, love, love. I love most batiks, however, I don't like the kind that look "tye-dyed" with no stamp.
    I lived in Bali and go back every year to stock up. I get them from the factories that produce Island, Hoffman, Princess Mirah, Kaufman and most of the "good" brands - none of the crappy stuff.
    I piece almost exclusively with batiks, although there were pictures posted yesterday by hcarpanini, of a Civil War quilt I pieced and she quilted. But, 95% of my quilts are done with batiks. I know quite a bit about them, have helped several quilt board members with questions about batiks and would welcome any other questions anyone may have. I'll help if I can!
    Here are the pics of half of my stash (the other half plus is in crates and several 6 foot tall cabinets.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-203010.jpe   attachment-203011.jpe   attachment-203012.jpe   attachment-203013.jpe   attachment-203014.jpe  

Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Just curious, what are the prices for batiks if you buy them in Bali?
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by laynak
    Just curious, what are the prices for batiks if you buy them in Bali?
    If you look at my signature on my post, you'll see that you have to PM me (private message).
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

For a while I searched for colors to go into a Boston Commons quilt I planned to make for myself, then I searched for bright reds/blues to use as background for a set of 3 nativity stain glass, then picked up others along the way when they insisted on jumping into my basket. Once a ran into a great sale (unfortunatley because the quilt shop was going out of business) and found some terrific Christmas batiks. I love the variety you get from a single piece of fabric. Now I have to start using it and making those projects.
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 AM
    Power Poster

All I can say is WOW. Your stash makes mine look small in comparison, but I'm working towards starting and finishing the projects I want to do, especially an all batik Boston Commons quilt for me. I grew up in your neck of the woods, Mission Hill, SD and still have relatives in SD that I wish I could see more often, but NH is a bit of a drive to SD. I got back there 6 years ago for a family reunion, it was great to spend time with family and friends again.
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    All I can say is WOW. Your stash makes mine look small in comparison, but I'm working towards starting and finishing the projects I want to do, especially an all batik Boston Commons quilt for me. I grew up in your neck of the woods, Mission Hill, SD and still have relatives in SD that I wish I could see more often, but NH is a bit of a drive to SD. I got back there 6 years ago for a family reunion, it was great to spend time with family and friends again.
    That quilt will be gorgeous in batiks!!! Please post pics when it's completed!
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM

never enough batiks, and I just buy them if the colors or prints speak to me. love love love batiks.
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 AM

omg Bob1414, I have just a smidge compared to you. I'm green with envy!