Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's your fabric "personality"? >
  • What's your fabric "personality"?

• What's your fabric "personality"?

Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Love when someone posts a 'thinking thing'. I am like you, give me gray, black white for clothing happy happy. but with fabric I love color! I love most but the washed out things. I wouldn't however put a say black and brights quilt on my bed. I would make one and gift it to someone who would. I find I get sick of working with too much of one color. I make a quilt say in pink purple and don't want to touch those colors for a long time after so its better for me to do a multi colored, scrappy colors (coordinated) quilt. then I never get sick of any of them!
    Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 AM
    Power Poster

I make pretty much the same things you do, but I seem to go in spurts, making baby quilts for a while, then table runners, placemats, wall hangings and bags, especially when getting ready for a Fair. I love batik fabric and plan to make a Boston Commons quilt in batiks - have been gathering fabrics for several years, I love Christmas fabrics, fabrics for baby quilts and I like certain florals, generally when making a quilt with the floral fabric as the focus fabric. Actually I like almost all fabrics, florals, geometrics, batiks, etc., and I tend towards blues, teals and purples with anything in between. In other words, I love all fabric.
    Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 AM
    pal

I love brights, stripes, polka dots - the louder the better. I cannot work with fabric that I don't like - and when I like it, it can be used for anything, dolls, animals, runners, pillows, tea cozys, bowls.
    Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM

I love fabric the feel the look the colors the patterns and the creativity it inspires
    Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM

I like a lot of types, but i find that I'm constantly running out of blue - my fav color! And I'm gradually getting rid of all the florals I bought when I got the watercolor urge BIG! I think I'll try one of Barnbum's beautiful watercolor log cabins to finish off that part of my stash.
    Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM

I started with BOMs so I had Thimbleberries, I did Asian for a while, I collect some animal and other novelty fabrics, but the majority of my collection is Batik. I did tend toward blues and greens, but now I have all different colors.
    Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Butterfli19;6314431]Do you find you buy the same themes - florals, large prints, geometrics? Or color schemes - blues, greens, violets or reds, yellows, and blacks? Do you prefer making large quilts or baby quilts, or items such as runners or tote bags? Are your picks vibrant, subdued, or a mix? Do your fabric selections mirror your clothing, color-wise and theme?

When I started making quilts I decided the more different fabrics the more interesting the quilt. So my first quilt was blue/yellow log cabin and I went out and bought blues & yellows. Daughter saw it and wanted red/white - so out I went - you get the drift. Then I found Bonnie Hunter. She opened my eyes and freed me creatively and off I went. Now I go online and buy colors that intrigue me and throw them into my quilts. Plus I adore neutrals and I make sure I have tons of neutrals to chose from. Then I got into making pillowcases and I have been buying the gorgeous florals that make such beautiful pillowcases. I have soooooo much fabric and I decided I couldn't die with so much fabric to make things out of. I'll live forever.
    Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 PM

I kind of love all types of fabrics but some of them I keep to pre-cut size (Civil War & 30's). My favorites are probably florals and shabby chic... I have plenty in my stash. I also love brights & kids novelty fabrics for my Project Linus quilts. I live in the northwoods so I have a few rooms that have a Thimbleberries look to them. I also so adore batiks!

But lately I've been buying blenders in red, aqua, orange, B&W and grey because I'm drawn to the these colors in the newer fabric lines.

So I'm definitely a multiple personality when it comes to fabrics!
    Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM

I can't pass the sale bins . . . and when I find something I buy the WHOLE thing. I have stuff, get it home and think, I will NEVER use this. It really helped me out when I joined the Booms though. I open an envelope and think, OH, I remember buying something I think will match.
    Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Boy, I have always been drawn to what I consider traditional romantic florals, soft colors, then my sister turned me on to civil wars and I feel head over heals. Love the variety of the darker colors, small prints and how the colors seem to work so well together. And I love, love, love the 30's, I always say anything is pretty when it is made with the 30s fabrics. But I also have some really wild bright colored fabrics that are way outside my norm. The only line I am not crazy about is batiks, especially the ones that look like tie-dyed, however, I did see some beautiful floral appliqued quilts today at a quilt show and the batiks they used made the appliques look like paintings, simply magnificent. So I guess I don't favor batiks but do know how beautifully they can be used.