Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's Your Take On Plastic Bobbins? >
  • What's Your Take On Plastic Bobbins?

• What's Your Take On Plastic Bobbins?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
    Power Poster

I've been using the plastic bobbins for years and except when I drop one and then step on it, making it wind up in the circular file, and have not had a problem. I also have an older Brother machine which uses metal bobbins and have not had a problem with those; but I've never interchanged the two. I just keep a bobbin case for plastic bobbins and one for metal bobbins, they don't take up that much space.
    Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM

I was told once that the advantage to a plastic bobbin is that if you step on it it will break while a metal bobbin could distort and you would maybe not notice it---this came from one of the old time repair men---my current Brother came with plastic so that is what I use
    Old 02-05-2014, 03:22 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    I think you meant millimeters... a couple of centimers is about an inch.
    ROFL!!! Good thing my dh didn't see my post. I can just see him rolling his eyes......
    Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM

I just bought a Baby Lock Ellisomo and was told ....never use a metal bobbin because it can blow the computer element in the machine. All my other machines use plastic except my old Kenmore. And I do find that plastic bobbins do not hold as much thread as metal.
    Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by tropit
    My old Singers originally used metal bobbins. A few years ago, I changed over to clear, plastic bobbins so I could easily see what color thread was in them. Now, I'm wanting to go back to the metal ones. The plastic bobbins seam to break, get wobbly and just don't hold up...IMHO. What's your experience with plastic vs. metal bobbins?
    Metal in my nearly 60 year old Kenmore and in my even older Singer, but only plastic in my Janome because that's what they came with. My Yorkies love it when I drop a plastic bobbin and fail to pick it up right away. The bobbins don't last long and neither does the thread. Just thank goodness they haven't been injured by swallowing plastic shards. froggyintexas
    Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Glad this topic was introduced. My Brother came with metal. It has such a great quality of stitch I wouldn't use anything else. Don't know if it would make a difference but its the old "if its not broke don't fix it". I have a Janome that uses plastic, the stitch quality is not anywhere near as nice. I had thought about seeing if they made metal ones, but after reading your comments, sounds as if I should stick with what came with it.
    Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM

I'm with you bearisgray, my manuals don't say and none of them say the shank either I get so confused.
    Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 AM
    Power Poster

I use both and have not had any problems with them. I do like the metal better but both works fine...
    Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 AM

I always use what the machine originally came with. I heard the stitches wouldn't be right otherwise.
    I've never heard that the plastic Robbins should be replaced. That's good information. I will be inspecting my bobbing now.
    I really learn so much here.
    Thanks everyone
    Cindy
    Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 AM

I have had machines that took plastic and one that took metal much prefer metal last much longer , even if you drop and stand on them , they keep there shape much better . Cathy