Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wheelchair quilt help >
  • Wheelchair quilt help

• Wheelchair quilt help

Old 11-14-2018, 05:32 AM

The "birthing method is merely another way to say "turn the quilt inside out so the right side shows."
    Old 11-14-2018, 05:39 AM

OK, thanks!
    Old 11-14-2018, 05:51 AM

This is so timely for me. We are in the process of making charity quilts.
    Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 AM

This is definitely going to be backed and lined with quilt batting. And I plan on tying each yo yo down thru all the thicknesses.
    Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    My mother’s nursing home did not allow ties on quilts as they were considered restraints.
    Yes, restraints for the quilt.
    Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
    The "birthing method is merely another way to say "turn the quilt inside out so the right side shows."
    I was talking about "birthing" the pocket. In this case, with right sides together, you sew it almost all the way around the pocket, leaving enough un-sewn to turn it right side out. Then, you just press it and top stitch it on. (Don't forget to pre-wash your flannel, as it will shrink.) I've never been exposed to yo-yos in real life, so can't give you any advice there. I was working with 5th graders, so we had to make it simple. We used whole cloth and 80/20 batting. They cut them out, sandwiched them, quilted them and added the pockets (with lots of help). I ended up binding them. In hind sight, birthing the whole thing would have been easier.

bkay
    Old 11-14-2018, 07:41 AM

bkay...thank you. I understand and if I add pockets will do it that way. And yes, definitely will pre-wash the flannel, it shrinks so bad. I have just started my yo yo's after doing 6 afghans and about 5 or 6 wall hangings. I have quite a bit of small pieces of fabric that I hate to toss out so the yo yo wheelchair quilts are my next project and will keep me occupied during the long snowy winter. Happy sewing!
    Old 11-14-2018, 07:41 PM

As a former wheelchair use, I think there are too many places on a chair for yoyos to get caught. I prefer yoyos for wallhangings and table runners. Thank you for doing this. Legs get chilled when you can't walk to help with circulation.
    Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by osewme
    Several people have made wheelchair/lap quilts on this board & will be here to give you more information. I like this site with the pocket in the front. Actually, it's 2 pockets....one for your hands & a small one on top for special items. The conversation about ties was brought up recently but not sure how to find it again. It's a very nice thing that you are doing to donate to those in need.

https://www.homesewnbycarolyn.com/lovie-lap-quilts.html
    That looks like a comfortable style of quilt, but it is much longer than we were told to do when our guild made some for a local charity (where we used to live). They requested very small quilts to prevent them from getting tangled in the wheels.

Tartan, would velcro tabs have been okay? It sure seems to me that many wheelchair bound people are not able to hold a quilt in a comfortable position.

Some years ago Macy's had a quilted plush-backed throw that had a separating zipper coming up from two corners on the same side. This could be draped around a person's shoulders and zipped in front. It was like a robe without sleeves. Hands could stay under it, or were free to hold a cup of coffee or whatever. The bulk of it was in back, under your sitter, but wide enough to come up over your knees from the sides.

I'm afraid this is a much simpler idea than I am able to describe simply. When opened out, this thing is rectangular and can be used as a flat throw. If you picture the two upper corners coming together as if you were starting to make a paper airplane, you now can perhaps see the person's head sticking out at the top and a zipper going down the front. A person sitting in a wheelchair would not actually be restrained by such a design because he or she would be wearing it like a robe, but it is much quicker to get on or off as needed. They no longer have the exact thing for sale. You could make a very similar design with a pieced quilt with fleece, minky or flannel on the back. I don't know the dimensions, but you could drape a lap quilt over your shoulders to get an idea of what would work.

A serape or ruanna or even just a longish cape similar to the things used in hair salons could all be made as a quilted design. Perhaps a sewing pattern for something like that would be a good starting point for determining the size.
    Old 11-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Irishrose2...what size would you recommend for a wheelchair quilt? I have seen so many sizes and not sure what is the best. I've seen 36 x 36, 36 X45, 36 x 48, etc. I can't call a nursing home yet as I do not know who takes them and I am only getting started with cutting fabric. Since you were formally in a wheelchair I thought maybe you had an opinion. I don't want them to be too long to get caught in the wheels. Thanks.

Sharon