Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please >
  • When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

• When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM

If your getting loops on the back it is the top tention, if they are on top it is the bobbin. You have to always remember to do a test stitching when ever you change the thread, batting or type of fabric your using. I hope this helps.
    Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM

If you would like to donate some to Sharners hospital quilts for babies, I would be more then happy to help you use some of the fabric, just a thought lol.
    Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 PM

I just do not quilt for money. I tell those who ask, (and I am still considered a beginner)I only quilt for family, myself and gifts. The cost is too high, I would feel pressured and thus it would no longer be fun.
    Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
    Banned

I would ask you to very, very carefully consider that you are possibly getting into a situation that could cause you anxiety, sleepless nights, and enmity between yourself and your friend. You may find this project totally beyond your skills, it may take you far longer than you can anticipate, and not worth your time and labor in the end, IMHO.

I helped an elderly neighbor complete a small quilt she had had sitting around for about ten years as a top, it looked beautiful when it was done, and she hasn't spoken to me since. She told another neighbor that she had wanted to do a lot of hand quilting on it (she has very severe eyesight problems), this in spite of the fact that I had intentionally left a number of nice areas for her to do hand quilting on it.

I would never, ever again do any quilting work for a friend or neighbor. Too much can go wrong before you know it, and then the relationship may be harmed or destroyed.

Please be deliberate in making the choice to attempt this project!
    Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by danade
    I would ask you to very, very carefully consider that you are possibly getting into a situation that could cause you anxiety, sleepless nights, and enmity between yourself and your friend. You may find this project totally beyond your skills, it may take you far longer than you can anticipate, and not worth your time and labor in the end, IMHO.

I helped an elderly neighbor complete a small quilt she had had sitting around for about ten years as a top, it looked beautiful when it was done, and she hasn't spoken to me since. She told another neighbor that she had wanted to do a lot of hand quilting on it (she has very severe eyesight problems), this in spite of the fact that I had intentionally left a number of nice areas for her to do hand quilting on it.

I would never, ever again do any quilting work for a friend or neighbor. Too much can go wrong before you know it, and then the relationship may be harmed or destroyed.

Please be deliberate in making the choice to attempt this project!
    I'm sorry you had the experience you did with helping to finish a project. People can be funny at times, please don't let it bother you that she made the choice to not talk to you after you helped her. I hope it doesn't discourage you completely from helping others down the road.
    I do appreciate your input, thank you.
    Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    I told her since I am just learning it needed to be an easy pattern. I was thinking $50 - $100 to make the quilt, since she will be paying a lot for fabric and batting. Backing material can be costly.

Just because she will be paying for the fabric and batting don't under sell your work. If she wants a homemade quilt she should be willing to pay for it. I don't mean to sound mean but hand made items are worth paying for.
    Just be sure she knows upfront what you are going to charge her.
    Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 PM

I figure the cost of all materials, fabric, thread, batting then I double this total, if they want me to quilt it, I figure anywhere from $75.00-$200.00 depending in the size. This cost includes putting the binding on. Hope that helps.
    Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM

The first thing I would ask myself is "Do I really really want to do it?" I have gotten myself into fixes before because I wanted to please my family and not disappoint anyone. Because I made one afghan as a gift, I felt that I had to make one for everyone. I had so many to make in a limited amount of time, that it turned into a full time job - day and sometimes all night. So please be sure you want to start making quilts for charge for friends. One may lead to another and another and so on.

On the other hand if you are sure you want to do it, try to set a price that takes everything into account as Sally and ckcowl said. Then if it comes up again with someone else, you will be able to be equitable with everyone. Good Luck and remember to have fun with it. :)
    Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Go to the etsy web site and see what the quilts are selling for. I don't like to use someone else fabrics - they could be hard to work with it the person doesn't sew. I would tell her what fabric company has quailty fabrics. I have heard to charge 3Xs the cost of materials. . .I hate these situations they can spoil a friendship.
    Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM

You may want to remind her that some fabrics are not available after a rather short time so she may want to buy the sham and curtain materials at the same time as the quilt fabric...certainly the sham material if not the curtain fabric. I realize that she may not know what her future window sizes may be but surely knows what size and how many pillows she wants for her bed. I know she will appreciate the suggestion as she may not be familiar with the availability of certain fabrics and the need to use fabrics from one dye lot as there can be subtle but noticible differences in the dye lots.