Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When did K-Mart start selling crafts and sewing/quilting supplies? >
  • When did K-Mart start selling crafts and sewing/quilting supplies?

• When did K-Mart start selling crafts and sewing/quilting supplies?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 PM

I haven't visited a K-Mart for awhile but was online looking at dining tables and saw that the site had a craft section, then it took me to a sewing and quilting section. I thought how great. So, is K-Mart adding this department to their stores or is it just online?
    Old 10-01-2007, 05:38 PM

I have no idea, but if it is so, maybe they took all the stuff they took out of WM and stuck in there? (JK)
    Old 10-01-2007, 05:40 PM

I just saw that they are selling sewing machines now too. How cool is that?!
    Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM

wow we don't have a kmart here any more. but it's some thing i really need to check out.
    Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Many...many moons ago KMart had a wonderful sewing/craft department. Well, the closest to us did. They had fabric on the bolt, kits, yarn, everything. Then one day they did away with it...I found the most wonderful bargains that month. Kits, fabrics, you name it...for 50 cents to $5.00. How do I remember these prices so well you may ask...easy...I still have a couple of the kits (mostly candlewicking) on my "roundtoit" shelf. I look at a couple of them now and wonder..."What WAS I thinking when I bought that?" Those are the ones I harvest pieces and parts and supplies from when I need to fix something vintage.
    Old 10-02-2007, 03:08 AM

i liked k-mart when it was the "only store in town". after wal mart they moved ours (closer to WM) but it was bigger and better than the old one, a year later it was closed. Target is still hanging in there tho.
    strawberry, i've never done any candlewicking but i love it.
    Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 AM

K mart is now owed by sears........they carry Kenmore and a few singers same as Sears stores....alas no fabric.
    Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM

I remeber very well when K-Mart carried fabric, and when they stopped selling fabric, I stopped shopping there. Just like I have at the Walmarts now that don't carry fabric. I don't shop at them. I go out of myway to shop at the Walmarts that sell fabric. I may be corny, but I mean what I say. If all the Walmarts stop selling fabric, I'll go to a grocery store, the hardware store, the drug store. But I won't shop at Walmart. Maybe you can see why alot of K Mart stores started closing down, Yeah, it took a few years but they started melting down, one by one. Maybe they caught on and are willing to come back to life again. Boy Martha Stewart would love it, think about all her designs she could implement. A new area she could dabble in. It's a thought ladies,,,,,,,,,,
    Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Rebecca, I also go out of my way to shop ONLY at the Wal-Marts that sell fabric. When it goes from this Wal-Mart I'll go to the grocery store too but until then I'm sticking with the cheaper prices.
    Old 10-03-2007, 05:05 AM

Hi

I to only shop at a Wal-mart close to home which is about 15 miles away that still carries fabric. I am willing to drive for it and I always get enough fabric to make it worth my time and money. I just talked to the manager at our K-mart store here in town and he said that he hasn't heard anything about getting a craft/quilting section, in fact, their store is trying to phase out their craft section totally. Sigh!!!!

Right now is a good time for some of us to open up a fabric/sewing store. A lady here in town opened up one and she seems to be doing well with it. Her fabric is around $4 to $5 a yard.

Vanessa